Topic: glass install f-1 w/s & rear glass

Fred Hanks    -- 01-25-2012 @ 1:25 PM
  What is the best way to install the W/S & rear window in a 49 F-1 ???

supereal    -- 01-25-2012 @ 3:46 PM
  Be sure you have the correct seal, and that your glass is the right size, exactly. Cut the old seal off by placing the knife between the glass and the rubber to release from the body. After cleaning the opening and checking to be sure there are no bends or nicks, put the new glass in the seal, put a strong cord in the body channel, and put liquid soap over the cord. With a helper placing the glass and seal unit into the opening from the inside, pull the rubber out over the metal using the cord. With the end of the cord at the center, work toward the outside end. If you need to pull out on the rubber, we use an old screwdriver with the end bent at a right angle. Just don't pry against the glass. Take your time, and the job should go easier than you expect.

bonusbuilt1950    -- 01-26-2012 @ 6:43 AM
  The above post is correct, do as suggested. The rear glass goes in from the inside. It is the tougher of the 2 glass to install. Have a helper to push up on the glass into the lip as you pull the cord around.
The windshield goes in from the outside. Make sure you either bend or eliminate the tabs ( 2 schools of thought on that. ) to make glass install easier. I remember bending them flat, then having to bend back up after glass install, no picnic on that one. I just did my 50 F-1 recently. The 49-51 shop manual shows how it's done. Has some good pics to help. If you don't have a copy, I suggest getting one.

Barry

50 F-1

Fred Hanks    -- 01-27-2012 @ 6:02 AM
  Thanx a million Gents, as soon as the temp gets up to 65* this P.M. I'll start...

Fred Hanks    -- 01-28-2012 @ 8:44 AM
  Finally afer 3 hrs the w/s is in and a couple tears due to cheap gasket ?? the problem is what to do with the tabs as I have the trim molding to install & the tabs if bent down/up disturbe the seal where the mlding goes...any ideas ???

51f1    -- 01-28-2012 @ 1:11 PM
  I never could bend those tabs after installing the glass. I was afraid I'd break the glass. Doesn't seem to matter.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 1-28-12 @ 1:12 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=4263