Topic: Horn - Part II

nichols617@aol.com    -- 11-27-2009 @ 8:29 AM
  My horn wire is broken somewhere in the steering column. When I pulled it out I got 23" and the broken end. Do I have to go into the steering box to pull out the remainder? Where does the horn wire exit the box? I have a shop manuel.
Thanks! and Happy Holidays to all!
Stu N.

trjford8    -- 11-27-2009 @ 6:00 PM
  Stu, if I remember correctly you have an F-1 pickup. The wire for the horn exits at the bottom of the steering box. The wire passes all the way through the shaft and out the bottom.

51f1    -- 11-29-2009 @ 4:31 AM
  Which end did you pull it from? It should have come out through the top end of the column. If there is any wire in the column, you will have to push it out somehow. I'd use some of the heavy aluminum ground wire that's used to ground TV cables where they go into your house (available at Radio Shack or Home Depot) or the heavy copper wire that power companies use for grounding. A heavier rigid rod might work better if you can get it into the hole. I'd first try pushing it up from the bottom. Pushing from the bottom may prevent snagging that might occur if you tried to push it out from the top. If that doesn't work. You may have to remove the steering column from the gear box. That's a pain in the butt and should be avoided if at all possible. It entails removing the steering column and gear box from the truck and a lot of other disassembly and assembly that you don't want to get into if you don't have to. (See page 202, paragraphs c and d in the factory manual.) You will have to jack-up the front end of the truck to gain enough clearance to remove the column and gear box from the bottom. Also remove the the steering tie rod. Pull the column down and out as there is not enough room in the cab to go that way. Good luck.

Another thought which would be a long shot at best. Try blowing the wire out with compressed air. Apply the air to the bottom of the column and blow the wire out through the top (if you are lucky)! This would take a large volumn of air.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-29-09 @ 4:36 AM

supereal    -- 11-30-2009 @ 9:28 AM
  We use an electrician's "fish tape" to push out broken wires. It will fit the hole in the shaft, and is stiff enough to do the job. Just clip off the loop before you insert it. If you find a sticky spot, rotate the tape. The sharp end where you clipped the loop will ream past the snag. These tapes are available at most home centers, and have lots of uses.

nichols617@aol.com    -- 12-01-2009 @ 7:49 AM
  another great idea!
Thanks

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=376