Topic: Restoring the horn

nichols617@aol.com    -- 11-18-2009 @ 2:06 PM
  I have a 51 PU with a horn that hasn't worked since I got the truck. Is there an article or kit with instructions. I'm hoping I don't have to pull the steering column.

51f1    -- 11-19-2009 @ 4:02 AM
  No need to remove the steering column. All of the parts related to the horn are located inside the steering wheel behind the horn button. The wire for the horn can be removed by pulling it up through the steering wheel after disconnecting it at the bottom of the steering column. The factory service manual, page 278, fig. 88 shows the parts. Check to make sure all of the parts are there. Remove the horn button by pushing it in evenly and turning it counterclockwise.

Before you do anything, check all of the wiring The horn relay ground wire runs through the steering column to the wiring harness on the left inner fender (apron). Then it goes through the harness to the horn relay mounted on the firewall on the passenger side. The relay has three connections: ground, battery and horn. Check the connections and check for voltage at the battery connection.

After checking the wiring and finding no problems, momentarily connect the horn directly to the battery to see if it works. If it works, check the horn relay by momentarily connecting the ground terminal to a good ground. The relay should click when grounded. If it doesn't click (or blow the horn), replace it.

Hope this helps.

Richard

nichols617@aol.com    -- 11-19-2009 @ 6:39 AM
  Thanks! If I have to pull the wire and replace it, will it slide back down thru the column?
Stu N.

Big Red 51    -- 11-19-2009 @ 7:09 AM
  Be sure the wire is the correct size. My '51 with dual horns had a very small wire run to the relay and honked lightly, intermittently. Also make sure the relay is working and that the horn button is seated correctly. Not much movement of button to ground the horn wire and produce honk.
Wire slids thru column fairly easy tends to hang up at the bottom but twisting a little will get it thru.
Good Luck
Don

supereal    -- 11-19-2009 @ 9:04 AM
  The easiest way to install a new horn wire in the steering shaft is to use the old one as a "pull" wire. Attach a piece of strong plastic fish line to the lower end of the horn wire, and pull it up thru the shaft. Then, attach the lower end of the new wire to the line and pull it down. Many replacement wires come with a terminal fitted to the end, and this method eliminates the need to take it off. Before replacing this wire check it with an ohmmeter by placing one lead to ground, and the other to the wire to the relay. You should see the needle swing when you push the horn button. The horn wire is constantly twisted as you drive, and either breaks, or the insulation wears off, making the horn blow as you turn the wheel. More often, we find that the contact points in the horn, itself, cause the horn to quit.

nichols617@aol.com    -- 11-19-2009 @ 10:26 AM
  Thanks! You guys are great1

51f1    -- 11-20-2009 @ 2:29 AM
  Sliding the wire back down the column is no problem. It will probably hang-up when it nears the bottom, but by pulling and pushing and rotating the wire, it'll go through. I like Supereal's idea.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-20-09 @ 2:34 AM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=333