Topic: 51 f1 gas guage not working

51 F1 TRUCK GUY    -- 05-01-2011 @ 6:09 AM
  hey guys im new here and thanks for helping in anyway. im having some trouble getting my gas guage to work in my 51 f1 truck. i know the guage phisically works and i got a new sending unit but guage still isnt working any ideas

supereal    -- 05-01-2011 @ 9:53 AM
  If the needle swings over when the key is turned on, but doesn't move thereafter, remove the wire at the sender. If the gauge still doesn't move, the wire between the gauge and the tank is likely shorted to ground. Try momentarily shorting the wire at the sender to ground to see if the needle moves. If it does, it is probable that the body of the sender isn't grounded, and you will need to install a ground wire between the sender body and a known good ground. If it doesn't, the wire to the dash may be open. The tank is often not a good ground. With the sender out of the tank, connected and body grounded, move the float arm to see if the gauge reacts. If it does, it is likely the arm is being restricted in the tank by a baffle or other obstruction. The float arms on replacement senders almost always need to be adjusted by bending or lengthing the arm to read correctly. You didn't mention whether the truck was converted to 12 volts. If so, and the power to the gauges was not reduced, that will prevent proper reading, and may damage the gauges.

This message was edited by supereal on 5-1-11 @ 10:02 AM

51 F1 TRUCK GUY    -- 05-01-2011 @ 1:20 PM
  hey thanks alot supereal for the response. if i ground the gauge the needle goes all the way to full and works fine but when i turn the key on the needle never moves. i also took the sending unit out and hooked it up directly to the guage and grounded it and the guage still doesnt respond when moving the float arm up and down. The sending unit is brand new as well, not to sure whats going on, the truck is all 6 volts still and all other guages work fine. gas guages allways seem to be the tricky one. If any ideas then please let me know thanks again

supereal    -- 05-01-2011 @ 2:59 PM
  I'd put an ohm meter on the sender and see if the resistance changes as the arm is moved. From here, I suspect that the ground of the body of the sender may be the source of the problem. Of course, the sender may be defective. These days, who knows?

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2984