Topic: 37 parts

37pickupford    -- 03-24-2011 @ 5:02 PM
  Can anyone tell me a good source for an illustrated parts diagram for 37 1/2 ton pick up? I am trying to put my 37 back together after taking it apart many years ago and leaving it sitting in the garage. Also, the engine steady rods don't want to come out. Any advice? This will be a slow rebuild and I want to do it right.

37pickupford    -- 03-24-2011 @ 5:06 PM
  I have rebuilt 24 stud from a 39 panel ready to drop in.( I still have the original 21 stud which has a busted cylinder wall.) I keep reading from different sources about vehicle numbers being located on the frame rail. I never saw any such plate on my frame anywhere.

supereal    -- 03-24-2011 @ 5:21 PM
  There is no plate. The numbers are stamped into the top of the frame rail somewhere ahead of the firewall. There are supposed to be two other places on the same side, but the body has to come off to look for them. The numbers are often very faint, made worse by rust and dirt. Hard scrubbing can obliterate them, as well. When the vehicles were new, the same number was stamped on the clutch housing. Over the years, most transmissions were changed and those numbers were lost. It takes lots of looking to spot the numbers, and many times they are not found, anyway

37pickupford    -- 03-24-2011 @ 5:43 PM
  Thank you Supereal. I have sandblasted and painted the frame up to the cab which I haven't removed yet. I don't remember seeing any numbers. The transmission has a BB number stamped on it. The 24 stud motor has a serial number starting with BB also.

trjford8    -- 03-24-2011 @ 8:15 PM
  The frme number is normally found between the firewall and the front crossmember on top of the left frame rail. Most often it is near the steering box mount. The other two spots are also on top of the left frame rail. One is probably under the cab and the other is on the rear kickup of the frame just before the rear crossmember.

supereal    -- 03-24-2011 @ 8:21 PM
  It is likely that sandblasting removed the numbers. If you look for the others further back on the frame or under the body, use a Scotchbrite pad and rub the top of the frame rail lightly.

37pickupford    -- 03-28-2011 @ 4:53 PM
  I went out and looked when I got home from work tonight. The numbers are there on the frame. I think if I carefully sand the paint it will leave the stamped numbers.

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-26-2012 @ 6:57 AM
  I didn't see a reply to the original question about a '37 Pickup illustrated parts manual. I have the same problem...a pieced together botched up restoration that I bought and am having problems replacing parts. Would like to know where the back end of the emergency brake cable attaches...it was welded onto the driveshaft tube. Also it seems the cable I ordered is to short if it originally atached there.

TomO    -- 01-26-2012 @ 7:20 AM
  I don't think that there was a separate chassis parts catalog for the 37 trucks. The trucks were usually included in the Chassis Parts catalog. The same goes for body parts.

That said, the parts catalogs do not have very good illustrations on the correct way to assemble a vehicle.

Good sources for parts manuals are literature dealers that advertise in Hemmings or Club members that have sold their vehicles.

Tom

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-27-2012 @ 6:32 AM
  Thanks Tom...I appreciate the input and guess I will have to find another '37 Pickup to take pictures of to create my own "Illustrated Parts Catalog"...
Anyone having such an item I would appreciate a note.

Charlie

TomO    -- 01-27-2012 @ 7:22 AM
  Charlie,

I don't have a 37 chassis parts catalog, but the Green Book shows that your torque tube attachment for the emergency brake attachment is correct.

Here is a link to the NORG website. They have the Green book online. The brake diagrams start on page 17.

I hope that this helps you.

Tom

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-29-2012 @ 8:25 AM
  Thanks for the info Tom...your note didn't have the link to NORG...

Charlie

ColoradoCabin    -- 01-29-2012 @ 8:33 AM
  Guess if I had done a Google search I could have found it.. Thanks again...got it and will browse it for sure.

Charlie

TomO    -- 01-30-2012 @ 8:12 AM
  Sorry that I forgot to paste the link. Here it is

http://www.norgv8club.org/norg/index.php/headliner-newsletters-and-tech-tips

Tom

ColoradoCabin    -- 02-01-2012 @ 6:28 PM
  Thanks Tom...great site and source of material.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2801