Topic: Commercial Vehicle Windscreen Wiper Motors

Jailbar 42    -- 11-11-2010 @ 2:52 AM
  It is my understanding that some of the Ford Commercial Vehicles around 1952 - 1954 were fitted with electric windscreen wiper motors. Where can I obtain some information on the internal and external wiring of this windscreen wiper set up. There seems to be an internal park switch but I cannot determine if the motor is multi speed.

Thanks in anticipation

John Gladstone
Member No. 212 of Reg. Group 151,
EFV8 Club of Victoria , Australia.

supereal    -- 11-12-2010 @ 10:59 AM
  John: As I recall, some trucks during those years used vacuum wipers, while others were electric. The "parking" of the blades is usually a function of an internal valve or switch. I don't have the contact information for an expert, such as Ficken, but I'm sure someone else does. Replacement wiper motors are available of both types, but tend to be expensive.

51f1    -- 11-14-2010 @ 7:12 AM
  My service manual implies that the electric wipers were available in 1951 and also implies that they were available on all trucks. I don't think that is correct. I believe that the sixes used electric wipers (after 1950?) and the eights used vacuum wipers, but, surely, they could have been purchased and installed on an eight. I cannot find a wiring diagram that shows the electrical set-up. Surely there is someone out there that has electric wipers that can shed more light on this. I've seen the electric wiper conversions available from several suppliers. LMC Truck has them @ $219.95 for 6-volts on page 87 of their latest catalog.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 11-14-10 @ 7:14 AM

Jailbar 42    -- 11-14-2010 @ 9:38 PM
  Thanks to my to responders. The reason I am seeking help is that I am installing the electric wiper motor in a 1952 Customline Sedan to replace the unreliable Vacuum Motor.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 11-18-2010 @ 4:14 PM
  I never tried it but was considering using a old VW elecrric wiper motor,6 volt
they are small and powerful,
you can shorten or lengthen the rods,to suit your needs,and can be mounted in the cowl,
it might be worth a try,
what I have seen of the [ new wiper systems,] did not impress me,very weak, and made in CHINA,
my 3 cents worth, 37 RAGTOPMAN

ford38v8    -- 11-18-2010 @ 6:33 PM
  Jailbar, Save yourself some money and effort, and keep your car original. The wiper you have can and should be restored by a professional. You'll be surprised at the operation of a Trico after Kent Jaquith does his magic with it.

Kent Jaquith, 2633 SW Obsidian # 15, Redmond, Oregon (541) 923-4319
Clean-Sweep Windshield Wiper Motor Service, Sales and Rebuilding

No, I don't get a kickback from Kent, he's a long time V8 Club member that I've known for years.

Alan

supereal    -- 11-19-2010 @ 12:47 PM
  I am attaching a diagram for the electric wipers from my '53 Ford truck manual. The book confirms that both electric and vacuum wipers were installed, at least thru '53.

Jailbar 42    -- 11-21-2010 @ 8:27 PM
  Thanks to supereal and all of the other respondees to my query. The wiring diagram and colors match exactly the set up I have. You did not mention whether they were 2 speed but I will do some tests to find out.

Again a big thanks to all my helpers.

Catch you next time. Maybe I will be able to contribute to some else's challenge.

Rearguards Jailbar 42

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=2163