Topic: 1948 Ford truck F2

lubinsk    -- 10-08-2010 @ 12:40 PM
  Bad running 48 Ford F2 pickup,236 cubic in 6 cyl.It will run up to about 40-45 mph after that you can put the petal to the floor and it seems to slow down,and not retain that speed. The carburtor has been rebuilt with overhaul kit,plus a new float. New plug wires H10 Champion plugs gapped at 30. Compression 110 each cly.cold check. New brake drums,shoes,cylinders and most lines. In any gear it seems like it wants to hold back,let go ,hold back !!!Any suggestions,Thanks John

alanwoodieman    -- 10-08-2010 @ 5:05 PM
  check for a vacuum leak, look at the distributor vacuum advance, vacuum tubing to the wiper motor, carb base loose, etc

trjford8    -- 10-09-2010 @ 7:32 AM
  Did you clean out the gas tank? If the truck sat for a long time I'll bet the tank is full of crud and shutting off the fuel supply.

supereal    -- 10-09-2010 @ 8:24 AM
  You didn't mention the fuel pump. Between the "new" gas and years of use, most pumps simply can't keep up. It is also important to know what the rear end ratio is. Many 3/4 ton trucks had a high ratio, and topped out before 50 mph. We had one with a four speed transmission that would pull like a tractor, but on the highway, it simply was very slow, even at full throttle.

f1ford48    -- 10-11-2010 @ 9:05 PM
  did you rebuild the carb yourself? did you blow out all of the passages with compressed air? sounds like mid and-or- the high speed jets are clogged. check for black smoke at tailpipe and unburned gas smell.you may have to do more cleaning on that carb. the 6 is a 226 cu. in. by the way,

lubinsk    -- 10-18-2010 @ 3:41 PM
  Thanks for all the help on my 48 F2 Ford. I believe the problem was the flex fuel line was colapsing.
I put a new one on and it now runs great. Plus I followded up on everybody's suggestions. Thanks again to all who replied.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=1976