Topic: 1940 Pickup Rear Fender Brace Attachment

dommi7    -- 12-19-2023 @ 7:50 PM
  I have my Dad's 40 Pickup and the rear fenders are pretty mangled. I don't know how the fender brace should attach to the fender. Does anyone have a photo of the brace to fender mounting that might help me figure out how to repair this?
If anyone is in the Twin Cities with a truck in decent shape, I'd be stoked if I could take a look at it. This truck has been in the family since '59 and was a working farm truck until '79 so its got lots of wear and tear and farmyard repair and seeing a physical example would be helpful.
Thanks,
Ralph

tex42    -- 12-20-2023 @ 4:26 AM
  Look at my post about 41 rear fenders. There are pictures that might help. My 41 was also a farm truck and the rear fenders were so bad and had a bumper welded on them that I replaced them with fiberglass reproduction fenders. The only thing different is there is no spare tire indention on the passenger sider fender. I hope this helps. I'm almost finished restoring mine, in the process of rewiring.

dommi7    -- 12-20-2023 @ 7:10 AM
  Thanks Tex. Unfortunately, I didn't see quite what I am looking for.
I need to reconstruct the fender where the brace mounts. So I need to see a view from the inside looking in the direction of the arrow in the attached photo (taken from Mike Kubarth's post). I have 4 fenders and all are missing the original brace mounting area.

Btw, that's some awesome progress!

This message was edited by dommi7 on 12-20-23 @ 7:10 AM

f1ford48    -- 12-21-2023 @ 3:31 PM
  There is a small tang on lower inside back of fender that the brace attaches to- later pickups had a carriage bolt going through the fender in the same spot with a sheet metal backing for strength.

dommi7    -- 12-26-2023 @ 4:04 PM
  Thanks F1 - I'm hoping someone can take a photo for me that illustrates the tab so I can reproduce it. I am replacing rusted out areas and I don't have a pattern to go by.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=16823