Topic: 1950 Ford F-1 Bed Floor

glenn_2718    -- 02-28-2023 @ 10:35 AM
  I'm doing a full restoration on my 1950 F-1. As you can see, the metal floor was in bad shape with the front right corner rusted out completely. When I removed the bed from the frame, I found a wooden subfloor consisting of several boards under the metal floor. I assume the wooden boards were put in to support the metal floor, but does anyone know if they are factory original? If factory, what is the correct number of boards, what kind of wood, and what thickness should they be? The old boards were in bad shape and I threw then away. Minor mistake on my part.

nelsb01    -- 02-28-2023 @ 3:03 PM
  Yes the boards were original. And used for earlier pickups also.
The type of wood would have been what was probably available --- certainly hardwood from northern Michigan's Iron Mountain Ford Plant.
The boards were rough cut and with space between them one could guess they were 1 by 6.
I am sure a 1948 - 1953 pickup owner will be able to give you the exact information.

rawlir    -- 02-28-2023 @ 8:00 PM
  42 to 47 1/2 tons pickup had a wood subfloor with a thin skinned metal bed. I believe the same 1/2 ton pu boxes were used into the early 50's. Wood was oak rough cut 1" thick 6-8 " wide. Bolted to frame with metal bed bolted to wood & truck frame. Bigger pickups had a wood bed only with skid strips.

V8ford1938@gmail.com    -- 03-15-2023 @ 9:45 AM
  I would contact Bill Horkey as he will be able to supply you with whatever you need. Bill is very knowledgeable and great to deal with. www.horkeyswoodandparts.com

rawlir    -- 03-15-2023 @ 7:00 PM
  My 47 Tonner Express box floor came from Horkey, I am comfortable he knows his stuff....well satisfied....

trjford8    -- 03-16-2023 @ 9:17 AM
  Depending on how original you want to be with your pickup you can eliminate the steel floor and go to the wood floor with the steel slats. I'm not sure but I think Ford may have eliminated the steel floor in 1951. I do know it did not exist in 1953. The beds on these pickups were basically the same through 1956. Others have said to contact Horkey's Woodworks and they can tell you for sure what fits and does not fit.

f1ford48    -- 07-29-2023 @ 12:18 PM
  Yes that is how they came from the factory.
Steel floor with skid strips molded in .
The sub floor is white pine from Fords own Forest in upper Michigan.
If you are going to restore to original Mack Hills in Moberly Mo. reproduces that steel floor

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=16268