Topic: 37Rackbody - second round of questions

37Rackbody    -- 07-20-2022 @ 4:36 PM
  I'm interested in finding out if there is a manufacturer making replacement wiring harnesses?
I would dare put power to the existing waring harness. (73 years sitting in a barn)
When you make this decision to up date wiring where do you stop?
Keep is 6 volt system or update to 12 volt?
If updated to 12v do you stick with a generator or up date to alternator?
Like I said where do you stop?
Thank for all opinions offered.
Pete aka 37Rackbody

zeke3    -- 07-20-2022 @ 7:16 PM
  You are in luck in that there are not all that many wires or wire harnesses in a 1937 vehicle. I would keep it 6 volt if it were mine, a 6 volt system can be made very reliable. There are several wire harness suppliers that make replacement harnesses for your truck. I have used Rhode Island Wiring in the past. I have seen advertisements for Tyree Harris in the Early Ford V8 Times and maybe Classtech. I have also heard good reviews of Sacramento Vintage Ford's wiring, so take your pick. Wiring is a good thing to have in good working condition.

51504bat    -- 07-20-2022 @ 7:44 PM
  When I rewired my '39 p/u with an 8ba I converted it to 12 volts with an alternator at the same time. I used a generic kit from Rebel Wiring. My truck isn't original and uses a key start and a universal headlight switch so the generic loom made the most sense. USA made and great tech support. Its up to you whether to convert to 12 volts or not. If you want a factory original wire loom in either 6 or 12 volts and with the option to provide add on features such as turn signals check out YnZ Yesterday's Parts.
https://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/
Expect a delay in whatever custom loom you order. Do to supply issues and increased demand most suppliers have a back log of orders.

01A01C    -- 08-06-2022 @ 7:25 PM
  37Rackbody: My opinion is that you should stick with 6 volt. I do not know if anyone told you that early Fords are 6 volt positive ground. If you wanted to change to 12 volts, then there is a lot of changes you would have to make such as all lights--headlights, dash lights, tail lights, grounding if wanting 12 volt negative ground, etc. If you want to keep the original gauges, then you could use dropping resistors for them. There are suppliers that make them. The generator would have to be changed over to 12 volts unless you buy an aftermarket generator/alternator. In my opinion, it is a major project to accomplish when you are just trying to learn about the truck. I don't mean to sound negative but you might just want to learn about the truck and then decide if you want 12 volts. If you do decide to go to 12 volts. then your 6 volt wire harness could possibly be used for the 12 volt conversion. Also, is the transmission a 3 speed or 4 speed transmission? The three speed with by synchronized between second and third. If it is a 4 speed then is NON synchromesh. If is a 4 speed, then you will be the opportunity to learn how to shift an non synchromesh trans. Once you learn, it is fun to drive. I had a 46 ford pickup with one and my dad showed me how to shift it--since I was 16 at the time. Also welcome to the world of early fords.

01A01C    -- 08-06-2022 @ 7:34 PM
  Also, if you have questions, do not hesitate to ask the forum. there are a lot of people on this forum with a lot of experience and knowledge about early fords.

carcrazy    -- 08-06-2022 @ 7:49 PM
  Whether or not to change to a 12V Negative ground system depends on what you want the vehicle to be. If you want it to be point judged in the future, stay with a 6V Positive ground system. Other reasons to stay with 6V is if the vehicle has an original radio and heater.

If you want the vehicle to be a reliable long distance driver, it may make sense to go to a 12V system. Modern conveniences like cruise control, A/C, radios and other systems are easier to incorporate with a 12V system.

There are many vendors offering correct wiring harnesses for these old Fords. The wires for these 6V systems are of a heavier gauge than that required for a 12V system so the 6V system wiring harnesses work great with a 12V system.

When I upgraded to a 12V system, I used a modern GM alternator which has an internal regulator to keep things simple. You will need to use a diode in the wire that powers up the alternator from the ignition switch so that the engine will shut off when you turn off the ignition switch.

If you do decide to go the 12V route, ask more questions and I will do my best to answer them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=15817