Topic: 1947 Ford pickup speedometer gear

htboyle    -- 05-22-2022 @ 11:51 AM
  My speedometer runs too fast on my pickup and I’m thinking my speedometer gear may be the wrong one. Does anyone know how many teeth the proper gear should have for the 4 speed transmission? The speedometer has been rebuilt at Bob’s and I’m sure it is good. Thanks

carcrazy    -- 05-22-2022 @ 5:31 PM
  The proper gear to use depends upon your rear axle ratio and the diameter of your rear tires.

htboyle    -- 05-23-2022 @ 10:11 AM
  So how do I find out what rear end I have.? The tires are 650-16. Then where is a chart to get the gear specifications? Thanks.

carcrazy    -- 05-23-2022 @ 1:34 PM
  Here is one way to determine your rear axle ratio whether your vehicle has an open or closed driveshaft.

1. Place a mark on the front crankshaft pulley and a mark that lines up with it on the front of the engine.
2. Remove all of the spark plugs to make the vehicle easier to push.
3. Place the transmission in fourth (high) gear which has a 1:1 ratio.
4. Place a mark on the outside of one of the rear tires where it contacts the ground.
5. Get a friend or two to help you push the vehicle forward on level ground while you observe the mark on the
crankshaft pulley and count the number of revolutions.
6. Have your friend tell you when the rear tire travels one revolution (the mark will now be contacting the ground).
7. Determine the number of times the crank has rotated relative to the one revolution of the rear tire. This is your
rear axle ratio.

Other people on this forum may be able to guide you to a chart which will show the correct number of teeth on the speedometer driven gear for your combination of axle ratio and tire size.

htboyle    -- 05-23-2022 @ 2:47 PM
  Thanks, sounds like a process. Not that difficult as long as it’s level ground!! I appreciate the advice.

trjford8    -- 05-25-2022 @ 7:03 AM
  Check the bottom rib on the rear end. You should find two numbers. Divide the large by the small number and that should give you the ratio. The only caveat is someone may have changed the gears, but not the housing. You can double check by using the method previously given. With a 4 speed trans I suspect you may have 4.11 or possibly 4.44.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=15686