Topic: help with shear pin

24bolt    -- 04-30-2022 @ 5:05 AM
  I have an original 1945 1/2 ton pickup which lost drive the very first time I tried to take it to a show last summer. The 45s were built from spare parts so has a driveshaft but the older narrower banjo rear. I've been told the shear pin failed, so took off the driveshaft from the rear, but the stub has a key in it and looks like it will take a lot of force to pull it off. Should I get a two claw puller and press that off? There's nothing written with clear instructions how to get this apart. Any help would be much appreciated-I've already considered selling this sweet little truck due to the difficulty getting information. Thanks in advance.

alanwoodieman    -- 05-03-2022 @ 8:39 AM
  take the nut off and use a gear puller to remove the yoke. I have several of these rear axles in my parts collection. where are you located so maybe a v8 guy could help you

24bolt    -- 05-05-2022 @ 3:36 AM
  I'm on the first exit in NY off route 81, right on the PA border. I am willing to travel, and have an enclosed car hauler. I'd be willing to pay a knowledgeable guy to have it done right if necessary, but am handy--just old...lol. Thank you!

40 Coupe    -- 05-10-2022 @ 3:19 AM
  The 1/2 ton PU is considered a commercial vehicle and many of the chassis parts are the same as the passenger cars. Have you checked the 1/4" square keys on the wheel hubs and the ends of the axles? If one shears your not going to move. I guess you have the enclosed drive shaft in the torque tube, if so the drive shaft is pined but also splined so if the pin brakes you still can move.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 07-12-2022 @ 3:00 PM

if the yoke is rusty, use a good rust buster and a good heat gun, will also help
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman,Maine

I would also check both axle key ways, remove both rear brake drums to check the axle keys
and make sure the axle nuts are tight,

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=15640