Topic: Temperature gauge

Jeepbut    -- 12-28-2021 @ 7:16 PM
  1947 1/2 ton. All original 6-volt. Temperature gauge was bad, so I sent it off and had it repaired. Gauge shows cold when engine first stated, then slowly rises all the way to hot. However, when I shoot the upper radiator hose(pipe) and radiator tank, it shows 175-180. Could one or both sending units be bad? Any other ideas? Sending units are not cheap, so I hate to change them if not needed. Is 175-180 too hot for a flathead V/8? Thank you.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-30-2021 @ 6:09 AM

Does the engine have thermostats in it, maybe they are 180 degree , so your system is or should be ok,
drain the radiator and take your top hoses off, the thermostats should be there and they should be marked ,
with temp they are set for,
you can also try a radiator themometer in the fill hole, while the engine is running and take a reading,
my 2 cents 37Ragtopman ,Maine

Jeepbut    -- 12-30-2021 @ 7:05 PM
  Thank you.

chiransmith11    -- 01-02-2022 @ 8:58 PM
  I really liked this forum. Got to learn many things.
Thanks for the information.

regards: mychart henry ford

engine    -- 01-05-2022 @ 10:08 AM
  I have a 40 pickup with a 49 Mercury engine. I have 160 thermostat in it. I put a mechanical thermostat in the right head and the gauge in the glove compartment. I can open the door and see what the accurate temperature is. My gauge in the instrument cluster always reads HOT. Most of the time it is running around 160.

same    -- 01-05-2022 @ 12:04 PM
  hey jeepbut, shoot the cyl head at your temp sending unit. on my '37 its spot on with red fluid water temp gauge. Tom.

This message was edited by same on 1-5-22 @ 1:22 PM

40 Coupe    -- 01-07-2022 @ 6:20 AM
  The temperature gauge should read hot with the engine and ignition off. After turning the ignition ON the gauge should go to cold and then slowly rise with the engine temperature. 175-180 is about the correct engine temperature. As a guess I would say your gauge is still incorrect or one of the temperature senders is not working correctly. Does your commercial vehicle have one or two temperature senders??? The sender with one electrical terminal controls the gauge reading, If you have the second sender with two electrical terminals it drives the gauge to the Hot position only. There is a procedure to test these. All of the Ford 6V temperature gauges are alike form 1940, with the difference in the face plate appearance. If you have another temperature gauge from another year use it to check your gauge operation and reading.

Jeepbut    -- 01-15-2022 @ 6:29 AM
  Gauge has been repaired and is good. I think I have one or both sending units bad. Sending unit on left has one stand up terminal with wire from harness and crossover wire both hooked to the same stand up terminal. Sending unit on right has one flat terminal. Should the left sending unit have two separate terminals? Both sending units are marked "KS 7".

This message was edited by Jeepbut on 1-15-22 @ 6:59 AM

Jeepbut    -- 01-15-2022 @ 7:01 AM
  Just noticed-left sending unit had two terminals, one is broken off.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=15389