Topic: 48 F2 truck problems

lubinsk    -- 10-15-2009 @ 4:30 PM
  Another senior moment. I pulled the engine on my 48 F2 6 cylinder to clean and paint engine and under hood. I drove it into the garage. I now have that done and now i get no spark to re start the engine. I marked all the wires. I put them all back as original. Now nothing,off the coil-plus terminal to the harness minus terminal to distributor,condensor mounted on engine to minus terminal. No spark jumping from spark plug wire to engine when turning engine over. Gas is present,also tried starting fluid. No Go. Distributor was not removed(masked) cap was taken off. Is there a ground that I missed. Please help John L

trjford8    -- 10-15-2009 @ 7:53 PM
  There should be a ground from the engine to the frame and from the firewall to the frame. Ususally there is a stud on the firewall where you can fasten the ground strap. Grounds are critical on a 6 volt system.Use a test light and start with the ignition switch. Check for fire at the switch, fire at the ballast resistor,etc.

51f1    -- 10-16-2009 @ 7:51 AM
  The engine block is grounded through the cable from the positive battery terminal. The body gets its ground from a wire from the generator to the firewall at the voltage regulator. (The generator is grounded to the block through its mount.) Make sure you have not inadvertently insulated a ground connection with paint. If the engine cranks with the starter, then the block is grounded. That leaves the body ground.

Richard

TomO    -- 10-17-2009 @ 8:31 AM
  You should have voltage on the wire coming from the ignition switch. It should be attached to the minus terminal of the coils and measured between the terminal and the engine block.

Check the wiring from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch. It should go from the drivers side of the solenoid and the battery should be connected to the same terminal. The passenger side terminal of the solenoid should only have the wire going to the starter attached.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=149