Topic: Rod for fuel pump

whitiecars    -- 03-13-2021 @ 11:27 AM
  Hi I am new and here is my first question . I have a 49 ford f1 with a v8 flat head that I just bought. I am told the engine is rebuilt . It had a 6 volt electric fuel pump which I have converted e dry thing to 12 or will. So I ordered a mech fuel pump for now but when I hooked it it up I found the push rod that is there isn’t moving. I don’t think it is going down far enough to hit the cam . I don’t want to strip the engine down . Am I just better off getting a 12volt elect pump and selling the mech one . Or any suggestions on a fix . Not sure it is even the right rod but it was the one that was in there. Sorry for the length and I hope it makes sense . Thanks

ford38v8    -- 03-13-2021 @ 11:42 AM
  Whitie, welcome to the V8 Club Forum. Pushrods come in two varieties, one inch different in length, to accomodate aluminum or cast iron intake manifold depths. As your truck had an electric pump, it may have had the incorrect pushrod.
You'll find many heated discussions regarding the need or no need for electric pumps, but for now, as you do have a new mechanical pump, check that it is long enough to reach the pump lever, and that you actually have the lever seated on the rod, as it is possible to get it beside rather than on the rod.

Alan

whitiecars    -- 03-13-2021 @ 12:17 PM
  Hi thank you ,I checked those things but the rod doesn’t move when the engine is turned over with the pump removed .

ken ct.    -- 03-13-2021 @ 1:21 PM
  The 2 diff. sizes of rods are for pre 49 engines. The rod for a 8BA engine is like 10 1/2" long and fatter dimeter. And NO umbrulla on it. Sounds like you have the wrong rod for that engine. ken ct.

DanD32    -- 03-17-2021 @ 1:32 PM
  sometimes when guys use an electric pump they put A shorter rod in the pushrod hole so you dont loose oil pressure thru the push rod bushing check if its 10 1/2 long JMO

DanD32    -- 05-10-2021 @ 12:22 PM
  I got that wrong it's 10 1/16 not 10 1/2 I justpulled the pushrod out of mine and the hardened end that rides on the cam is cracking and ready to come off that would be A major problem. It's one sold by A vendor selling made in china stuff be carefull it's not happining to anyone else.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 05-10-2021 @ 1:06 PM
  HI whitiecars
if the bottom of the push rod is worn,
when you change the pushrod, check for movement, up and down and see if it is enough,
the push rod rides on a lobe on the back of camshaft, this also might be worn
and camshaft might be the problem, also
change the oil and use a magnet to check for any metal
hope this helps 37Ragtopman

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=14673