Topic: No-start?

Jeepbut    -- 01-22-2021 @ 4:36 AM
  47 pickup. Pour a little gas in the carb-it sounds like it backfires once and then just turns over and over but never fires off. Sat many years, was stuck, new rings. I pulled a plug and turned it over over and seems to have good spark. The distributor only goes in one way, correct? No way to put it in 180 degrees off? Thank you.

trjford8    -- 01-22-2021 @ 6:10 AM
  If you have the original motor the distributor can only go in one way. If put in wrong it can break the mounting ears on the distributor housing. Double check to make sure the wires are plugged in correctly to the cap and check the housing.

TomO    -- 01-22-2021 @ 7:20 AM
  Is the engine a V-8 or 6?
Have you done a compression check? What are the results?
Have you tried filling the carburetor bowl through the vent tube or cranking the engine to fill the bowl? Sometime not enough fuel or too much fuel is delivered by pouring fuel into the carburetor throat. Filling the bowl will allow the accelerator to control the flow of fuel.
Did you put in new spark plugs and gap them to .025"?

If you did all of those things, try some starting fluid. Sometimes the engine just needs that little bit extrra help to start the first time after sitting for long periods.

Tom

Jeepbut    -- 01-22-2021 @ 2:33 PM
  Thank you. I will check all of this. For sure need to re-gap plugs. Autoparts guy looked it up and said .035.

This message was edited by Jeepbut on 1-22-21 @ 2:37 PM

Jeepbut    -- 01-22-2021 @ 3:25 PM
  How much compression should I have ? I will check it tomorrow.

TomO    -- 01-23-2021 @ 7:45 AM
  Withe new rings and no break-in, it should be above 85lbs and no more than 15lbs variance across all cylinders.

What spark plugs did he sell you and what is the engine, 6, v-8 flathead or V-8 overhead valve?
Answer to this question will help to determine your course of action.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-23-21 @ 7:48 AM

Jeepbut    -- 01-23-2021 @ 8:29 AM
  flathead V/8. He sold me Autolite 216 for the plugs.

Jeepbut    -- 01-23-2021 @ 9:22 AM
  I have zero compression in all cylinders! Now what? I could understand low compression or variable from cylinder to cylinder, but ZERO for all eight?

carcrazy    -- 01-23-2021 @ 12:15 PM
  Are you sure that your compression gauge is operating correctly? Some have a release button that may be venting the pressure. Are you using the tester correctly? Some screw into the sparkplug hole while others have a tapered rubber end that must be manually held into the hole while the engine is turned over. Are you allowing the engine to crank at least 4 or 5 times until you get a maximum reading? Hope you are able to determine the cause of the problem.

Jeepbut    -- 01-23-2021 @ 1:41 PM
  Found it! Pulled intake and 14 out of 16 lifters are sticking. Have Kroil soaking them. I can take a screwdriver and peck them down, so I think it's a matter of Kroil and patience. Thanks for all the suggestions.

This message was edited by Jeepbut on 1-24-21 @ 5:28 AM

TomO    -- 01-25-2021 @ 8:58 AM
  Autolite 216 plugs are correct for your engine and should be gapped at .025" for best performance.

I like to use Marvel Mystery Oil to free up stuck parts. It has a better varnish removing detergent that Kroil.

Tom

sarahcecelia    -- 01-26-2021 @ 3:40 PM
  Always use Champion H10s!They cost a little more, but they are worth it!!That's what Ford used "Back in the Day!" I used Autolites in my 1950 sedan once, and one wouldn't fire after very low mileage on it! I took it out- and it LOOKED LIKE NEW!! I think it went bad in the porcelain where the contact goes up through it!!

I've never ever had a problem wth Champions like that! They are good until that center contact burns down to that center porcelain!! You just, take them out every 6 or 7,000 miles, file that center contact flat, gap them, and go!!

Regards, Steve Lee

Jeepbut    -- 02-01-2021 @ 6:46 PM
  Thanks TomO for the Marvel tip. I was going to ask how to free up sticky lifters.

51504bat    -- 02-02-2021 @ 7:00 AM
  The debate about what spark plug for a flathead is like that of the best oil. Everyone seems to have their own thoughts/favorites. I used to run Champion H10's in the 8ba with EAB heads and a Chevy distributor with no issues. I was surprised though when the H10's I purchased at my local independent parts house came individually packaged as lawnmower plugs. I did switch to Autolite 216's during my last tune up and the engine seems to run a tad bit better but I've got no data to back that up. Probably no real difference - just wishful thinking on my part.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=14528