Topic: 1936 Ford Truck

DPerezTX    -- 10-05-2020 @ 8:09 PM
  I am helping my brother in law with his 1936 Ford truck. He bought it at an auction a couple years ago, drove it into his garage and hasn’t been able to get it to run since. The vin he gave me is 183152706 but it doesn’t work on any of the decoders I’ve tried. I’m trying to get info on the engine and carburetor before I head over there later this week. I know it needs air fuel and spark to run but I’m curious if there are any common problems with these trucks that we should look at first. Thanks so much for any info/tips you can give!

nelsb01    -- 10-05-2020 @ 8:37 PM
  Welcome.
First thing to remember is that the truck or pickup is positive ground.
Second, you will not be able to decode the serial number because that is just what it is -- a series of numbers that ran continuously from 1932.
You can try and fiqure out when the engine was manufactured, but that is subject to speculation also since there were a lot of engine and transmission switches (replacements) over the years.
Your number 183152706 says that it was manufactured sometime in 1936 http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/flathead_serialnumbers.htm
And probably during the month of July. (Francis & DeAnglis- The Early Ford V-8 As Henry Built It)
The next thing that I would check is if you have spark. Cranking over with a spark plug wire off will work. If no spark, then it could be a number of things from distributor, coil and condenser.
It looks like you are in Texas -- please check out the Regional Club Directory for a list of Regional Groups in Texas. Please contact one near you -- there are a lot of members that will be willing to answer your questions and maybe help you out.
Hope this helps some and please enjoy the experience --

DPerezTX    -- 10-06-2020 @ 4:08 AM
  Thanks so much. I’ve never worked on anything this old so I appreciate it. Definitely looking forward to it.

carcrazy    -- 10-06-2020 @ 10:28 AM
  To get the engine to run you need fuel, air, spark and compression. The easiest way to see if you have spark is to squirt some starting fluid into the carburetor before cranking the engine with the ignition switch turned on. If the engine doesn't even try to fire up, you have no spark. Check to see if there is fresh fuel in the fuel tank. Check to see if the air cleaner is allowing air to pass through it. Fully charge the battery so the starter cranking speed will be sufficient to start the engine. Use a compression gauge to check the compression in each cylinder. If you don't have at least 35 or 40 PSI the engine probably won't start. If the vehicle has been parked in an area where varmints could get into the exhaust system, it may be blocked.

wmsteed    -- 10-07-2020 @ 9:45 AM
  I would be reluctant to suggest "starting fluid" especially in an engine that has not ran in several years.
WD-40 is a great starting fluid for any engine, automotive, chainsaws, etc.
I generally use Marvel Mystery Oil pored down the carb, let it sit for a couple days then turn the engine over with the key off and/or the coil wire disconnected. You might have to clean the plugs and the engine will smoke for awhile, but the rings/valves will work better.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

DPerezTX    -- 10-09-2020 @ 6:54 AM
  Thanks everyone for the great information. I went over Wednesday and we got it running like a top. It was an auction buy so my brother in law didn’t know much other than it came from a collection in Central America where he assumes the restoration was done. Did the ‘36 come 12v from the factory? This truck was 12v and negative ground. Is that a common conversion? The problem ended up just being a blown fuse that was tucked up way under the dash that took a while to find. After that we drained all the old fuel fired it up and took it for a spin. Such a fun truck! May need to find my own!

This message was edited by DPerezTX on 10-9-20 @ 7:13 AM

cliftford    -- 10-09-2020 @ 1:01 PM
  The truck would have been 6v positive ground originally. Many have been changed over the years. If the instruments are working okay ,and the heater motor isn't racing, They have probably been changed. I wouldn't change anything.

JohnMeyer    -- 10-24-2020 @ 7:50 AM
  I also have a 1936 Ford Pickup and am looking for a good, comprehensive reference for this vehicle. It is pretty much original, running but not restored. I have done brakes, kingpins, tie rods, bearings, etc. to make it pretty road worthy but would like more information such has how to replace the clutch. I have purchased the 1935-1936 Ford Book and is has many things that are similar or resemble the pickup but is there a manual for this pickup somewhere?

alanwoodieman    -- 10-24-2020 @ 3:37 PM
  1/2 ton commercial, pick ups/panel trucks all have the same frame/mechanical/electrical system as an auto so a service manual for an auto would help you

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=14222