Topic: steel break lines on 49 ford f1

novice    -- 06-04-2020 @ 10:20 PM
  New issue, have difficult time removing steel pre-bent brake lines from the wheel cylinder.and the brake line fitting, its brass an takes incoming fluid and separates it right and left. Have tried penatrating oil, brake cleaner, I am using the proper tubing wrench. Need a new hack I don't want to cut the lines just need to find blockage problem.

carcrazy    -- 06-04-2020 @ 11:15 PM
  They can be a real bear to remove. You may have to replace the lines that go from the tee block to the front wheel cylinders. The blockages may be due to the rubber hoses deteriorating from the inside. If so, these will also have to be replaced. Brakes are extremely important, you don't want to take any shortcuts when safety is involved.

TomO    -- 06-06-2020 @ 8:40 AM
  Are these new lines that were recently installed? Or the original lines?

If they are new lines, be prepared to replace them, as over-tightening could have damaged the flare.

I have had to use a pair of vise grips clamped on the tubing wrench to keep the wrench from slipping when trying to loosen the brake lines at the junction block.

Tom

novice    -- 06-06-2020 @ 8:43 PM
  these are not new lines, the front rubber lines were replaced before I got the truck which was about 5 yeas ago. It was fine then, then it sat unused for a while. now the fronts work just fine but the rears don't work at all. Have to work on jack stands and have trouble getting a good grip on the flair nuts in question.

TomO    -- 06-07-2020 @ 8:59 AM
  Let's start at the beginning. You say that you have no rear brakes, what do you want to do to fix this problem?

Replace the steel lines, replace the wheel cylinders and replace the flex line?

Replace the flex line, check the steel lines for blockage and rebuild the wheel cylinders?

I also do all of my under car work with the car on jack-stands. I find that using a piece of cardboard to lay on works better than a creeper when the fasteners are not cooperating.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=13885