Topic: 1951 pickup speedo cable replacement

v8jer    -- 06-12-2010 @ 11:44 AM
  I am replacing the speedometer cable on my 1951 Ford F-1 pickup. I bought a new core and it came with a square-end fitting that attaches to one end of the core. My question is: does the square-end fitting attach to the speedometer end or the transmission end?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

supereal    -- 06-12-2010 @ 11:58 AM
  The inner cable should have a brass ferrule at the end that fits the speedometer head. This prevents jamming the head by pushing the cable in too far. Most replacement cables are shipped with squares on both ends, but the ferrule on just one. The standard length is 120". I'm not familiar with a fitting that is shipped loose. I'm guessing it may have top be crimped onto the cable. Be sure to lubricate the new cable as you fit it into the outer sheath, in any case. We usually recommend that both the inner cable and sheath be replaced at the same time to prolong service.

TomO    -- 06-16-2010 @ 8:00 AM
  You have a universal replacement cable. It should be cut to the correct length and the "square end fitting" crimped on the end that fits in the speedometer. The other end will pass into the cable shroud and fit in the transmission gear.

Tom

flatheadman    -- 07-13-2010 @ 7:43 PM
  Your cable kit should have contained a small metal tool to use in a vice to crimp the ferrel on to the cable. fhm

supereal    -- 07-14-2010 @ 8:58 AM
  Your pickup uses cable assembly B7C-17260. "Universal" replacements have to be cut to length, and a new square end either attached or made. That is another reason we recommended replacing both sheath and inner cable. Years ago, most replacement inner cables were made up from raw stock, and the square ends were done with a tool that did the job when hammered. Today, since cable driven speedos are obsolete, the tools and those who have them are largely gone. When you buy the whole assembly, you eliminate that problem, and the old sheath is likely worn or defective, anyway, which often causes the failure of the inner part.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=1381