Topic: 52 ford coil problem

Luther1517    -- 02-15-2020 @ 8:31 AM
  My 52 ford simply wouldn't start having successfully just run it a week before. The coil seems to bench rest fine but I'm wondering if a ballast resister is required. My truck never had one. However, the new coil I put in a few years ago clearly has stamped on the side, "use with external resister". Did I just burn up a coil? Distributer has not moved, points open and close and ignore sw supplies 6v to coil. I'm ready to buy another coil

TomO    -- 02-15-2020 @ 8:55 AM
  You probably did burn up the coil. People have had good luck with the NAPA coil for the 1949-1955 Ford V-8. It does not require an external resister.

Unless you used a coil tester with capabilities to heat the coil, bench testing is unreliable. Coils can test fine until they are run long enough to get them hot, then they fail.

Tom

Luther1517    -- 02-16-2020 @ 1:03 PM
  the coil I bought a few years ago was from NAPA. Monday I'll buy another one and I expect the printing on the side to read, like the last one, "use with external resistor". If I opt to put a resister in where does it go? In line from the starter switch terminal to the coil ?

Luther1517    -- 02-17-2020 @ 7:09 AM
  So, problem solved. It was the coil, and lo and behold, when i went to NAPA and asked for a 6v coil that does not require a ballast resistor, he had one. Cranked right up this morning. Thanks for your input

TomO    -- 02-17-2020 @ 7:25 AM
  I believe that the ECH IC7 coil does not require an external resister. It must be connected with the - terminal coming from the ignition switch and the + terminal going to the distributor.

For some reason NAPAONLINE says that it will not fit your truck, but your truck uses the same coil as my 53 Lincoln and it fits my Lincoln according to the search.

Tom

carcrazy    -- 02-17-2020 @ 9:20 AM
  My recommendation would be to use a Bosch 6V coil for a 1966 or older VW Beetle. The OEM Bosch coil will cost you two to three times more than the $15 to $30 coils but will provide reliable long life service. The Bosch coil does not require an external resistor. If you are keeping the stock positive ground system in the vehicle, then wire the coil so the + terminal goes to the distributor. My experience with the cheaper no-name coils has been poor, they typically won't last more than 10 minutes on my engines.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=13610