Topic: 1937 Ford Pickup (Deluxe)

jameson5938    -- 09-09-2019 @ 11:05 AM
  I am about ready to start painting cab and bed. Seems most everything for this pickup is different than most because it was initially ordered and owned by the dealership OWNER in CA. who ordered this for himself and got every accessory Ford offered that year except for ONE! I am ATTEMPTING to restore it to original condition, but most people are not familiar with all the differences involved with the Deluxe package. I have been researching this one for about 15 years and I don't know it all myself!!!

My question is regarding the paint on the bottom of the cab and bottom of the bed. I am ASSUMING it would be the same color as the body, but need confirmation. ALSO - What reference book would show what goes UNDER the metal bed other than the wooden blocks. I have been told "nothing" and I have been told 3/4" wood boards. Are the wooden parts also painted black???

James A. Westbrook

nelsb01    -- 09-09-2019 @ 1:15 PM
  The bottom of the cab was body color.
The bottom of the bed was body color.........but, only the metal part of it. The wooden bed planks were ebony stain with over-spray from the metal bed color. (I believe this is the wood you are talking about. The screw holes in the metal bed floor, are for slot headed screws to hold the wood under metal bed.)
The wooden blocks at the rear cross member were also ebony stain.
There were webbed pads at the spots where the bolts went through the bed and into the frame. Your bed should have supports were the bolts go through, and the webbed pads are between the bed supports and the frame. Four per side. A carriage bolt was at the cab end, and the remaining were flat tappered bolts with a inset square in the head. (they have some special name but it escapes me)
To be completely correct, the first and second bolts (starting from the cab) were tightened with a split lock washers and nuts. The third bolt had a tappered end because it's nut was a rectangled, treaded piece of metal that was welded to the underside of the top frame rail. (early speed nut?) The final bolt at the tailgate end had a split washer and nut.

Hope this helps.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 9-9-19 @ 1:22 PM

jameson5938    -- 09-10-2019 @ 4:25 AM
  Thanks for that info. I just sent you a private msg after looking at another discussion where you responded a few years back. I was asking about the wood itself. How thick and how wide?

James A. Westbrook

nelsb01    -- 09-10-2019 @ 1:09 PM
  I did mention this in the private message, but for others.

The wood on my re-production box is oak and it is 1 by 8 inches. Which converts to 3/4 by 7 1/2 after finishing.
Thanks to our now departed friend, Roy Nacewicz, the wood is stained in ebony and you need to know that the wood was installed before the front or end (tailgate end) panel was installed. There is no way to fit the wood panels in without one of those panels being removed.

This message was edited by nelsb01 on 9-10-19 @ 2:40 PM

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=13214