Topic: ‘53 Mercury M-100 Pick-Up Turn Signal Help

rdouglas    -- 02-23-2019 @ 5:25 PM
  I recently acquired a beautifully restored Mercury M-100 (Canadian version of F-100.) The truck did not have turn signals, but I managed to find a NOS Ford turn signal kit and am in the process of installing it. However, it seems I might be missing a part (some sort of pin) which would automatically cancel the signals with a turn of the wheel. Can anyone help identify what part I require? Thanks for your help.

This message was edited by rdouglas on 2-23-19 @ 5:25 PM

rdouglas    -- 02-23-2019 @ 5:29 PM
  Here is a better photo of the turn signal kit installed in the steering column...

rdouglas    -- 02-23-2019 @ 5:30 PM
  And finally a picture of the truck...

TomO    -- 02-24-2019 @ 9:15 AM
  That is a nice looking pickup.

The 53 turn signal steering wheel kit had a cam P/N FAA-13318-A to cancel the turn signal, unfortunately there is no illustration of the part. It is different than the car cam, so a drawing of that would not help.

(Edit) I just did a search on the P?N and C&G Ford parts shows it in their catalog.

https://cgfordparts.com/ufolder/fordpart.php?number=FAA-13318-A

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-24-19 @ 9:19 AM

rdouglas    -- 02-24-2019 @ 7:28 PM
  Tom - thanks so much for your help. I can"t wait to get the pickup on the road this spring, once winter is finally behind us in Toronto! Rob

TomO    -- 02-25-2019 @ 8:15 AM
  I don't know about you, but this winter has seemed to be longer than I remember winters being. I live Northwest of Chicago and it seems like the last nice day we had was Dec. 16, 2018. Since then we have had snow or freezing rain almost every day. I am looking forward to some nice weather so I can get back to getting my cars ready for the summer driving season.

Tom

rdouglas    -- 03-09-2019 @ 6:29 PM
  I am making some progress with installing the NOS turn signals in my 1953 Merc M-100, but need some further help.

The tail lights will share a wire and element for the brake lights and turn signals. The signal switch, however has only one input (the flasher) and there is no apparent way to bypass the power from the brake switch to the lights. I haven't yet connected it, but I expect the brake signal would pre-empt the flasher, so there would be flashing only without the brakes applied. Is that the way it is intended to function?

Maybe someone on the forum can assist with a wiring diagram for the turn signals on a '53 Merc M-100 (functionally identical to a Ford F-100), when the signal switch has only three wires -- one from the flasher and one to each L and R circuit?

Thanks for your help!

TomO    -- 03-10-2019 @ 9:14 AM
  Here is a link to the wiring diagram. Scroll down a couple of answers for the factory wiring.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1281011-1953-turn-signal-wiring.html

When you have the turn signal switch in the turning position, the brake light on that side of the truck is flashing.

The diagram is not very clear, but what you are trying to do is feed the brake light from the brake switch while the switch is in the neutral position and from the flasher when it is the turn position. You will need a new taillight harness for this. You will also need a new wiring harness for the front turn signals. The new harnesses from most of the better wiring harness suppliers includ a wiring diagram.

Tom

trjford8    -- 03-10-2019 @ 2:18 PM
  If you are running the stock wire harness you may have to add some extra wires. I'm sure Ford had different harnesses for pickups with or without turn signals. Also your front parking lights may be using the single contact bulb. This necessitates eliminating the parking lights and using the bulb for turn signals or converting the lamp socket to have the dual contact bulb. Your turn signal switch basically controls the brake lights. A "hot wire" goes to the brake switch and the return wire from the brake switch goes to a dedicated wire in the turn switch. Unfortunately Ford changed color codes on the turn switch wires 3 or 4 different times, so you may have to get more then one diagram to correctly wire the switch. If your dash gauge panel has the capacity to handle the indicator lights those lights are wired into the front left and right signal.

rdouglas    -- 03-10-2019 @ 7:04 PM
  Thanks for your help TomO and trjford8. Will report back how I make out with the turn signals!

rdouglas    -- 03-10-2019 @ 7:08 PM
  Thanks for your help TomO and trjford8. Will report back how I make out with the turn signals!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=12703