Topic: 51 F1 circuit breakers

PeterFord    -- 11-04-2018 @ 1:46 PM
  all my electricity is out. During starting it just went blank, lights, everything. Battery OK cables OK, all wiring is new. The circuit breakers are tucked up under the dash, almost impossible to reach. Any help here? Do the circuit breakers protect everything, lights, ignition etc?

Many thanks. Peter

cliftford    -- 11-04-2018 @ 4:15 PM
  Does the engine crank over? If not there is a problem other than circuit breakers. Are the battery connections Squeaky clean? If it cranks over check all connections from the battery to the circuit breaker[s]

PeterFord    -- 11-04-2018 @ 5:09 PM
  It will not crank, completely electrically dead. I put on new battery cables. Multimeter shows continuity to the solenoid . Haven't been able to check further to the breakers owing to the almost impossibility of reaching them. They are tucked so far up under the dash. I am 6'2" and can hardly twist myself into the cab to see them I (I am also 78).

I have the complete electrical diagram here (I rewired the entire truck 2 yrs ago). It appears that the only thing that could disrupt the entire truck is the breakers. Save me.

GK1918    -- 11-05-2018 @ 2:28 AM
  Hope I am reading this correctly: If original 6vt pos ground:
I think you lost the "house power" we call it. Its the main feed for
everything =its like 10 gauge wire from the hot side of solenoid
to the dash it feeds the ignition which feeds the coil. This hot feed also
goes to the breaker which feeds lights. All things like directional s, heater
radio- cigar lighter- all have a inline fuse. The start circuit works by
grounding the start terminal on solenoid. So with jumper wire jump
that terminal to the block=engine should turn over. If it does not turn
over with start button = the cab either lost its ground or start button
lost its ground or its just bad. OR with test light, hook that to hot side
of battery and touch the fire wall- should light up if ground is good. Or jump the firewall to the block try that. I have serviced these trucks
since they were new up to now I have 7 of these. Note if truck is 12vts
neg ground none of this apply's whole different story. Oh forgot your
main question breaker has nothing to do with ignition lights and maybe the horn relay Peter..........Sam

PeterFord    -- 11-05-2018 @ 9:09 AM
  It is 12 volt. Now what:)

PeterFord    -- 11-05-2018 @ 9:13 AM
  there is power getting to the ignition switch and to both sides of the circuit breakers. No power reaching the lights.

PeterFord    -- 11-05-2018 @ 9:22 AM
  correction. There is power to the light switch input. But they won't turn on. Something tells me your suggestion of a grounding [problem is right. But I have grounded this system every which way to avoid just such a problem. I will continue searching for the possible ground issue

alanwoodieman    -- 11-05-2018 @ 2:28 PM
  check ground wire from cab to frame and to engine and back to battery. circuit testers will show continuity even thought the ground will not carry the load

alanwoodieman    -- 11-05-2018 @ 2:28 PM
  check ground wire from cab to frame and to engine and back to battery. circuit testers will show continuity even thought the ground will not carry the load

PeterFord    -- 11-05-2018 @ 7:46 PM
  My apologies. I tested the voltage of the battery with a multimeter which registered 12.5 volts. I thought that ruled out the battery. I called a trusted mechanic and he said "take the battery to NAPA and have it tested". I did. The test result came out of the computer, "Replace". The battery was completely useless. Got a new one and all the electricity is back. Dumb me. But thank you for your generous replies

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=12463