Topic: radio and ash tray

Lenny    -- 10-21-2018 @ 11:24 AM
  Did the 1937 PU come with an optional radio? If so, was there an ash try under it?
I bought a radio at Hershey this fall, wondering if it
came with an ash tray and where could I find one?

trjford8    -- 10-24-2018 @ 7:39 AM
  To my knowledge there was no radio for the '37 Ford pickup. There may have been an aftermarket radio for the pickup and an aftermarket ash tray, but they were not Ford accessories.

chask    -- 06-12-2019 @ 6:10 AM
  Just as a point of interest, I have a 1937 Pickup and installed a 1936 model Truetone aftermarket radio (see Pictures). Not sure if this is how it would be installed but since aftermarket was the only way to get a radio in a truck I just guessed. I changed out all the caps and some resistors and installed an aux input (with the help of old tube radio forums) so I could play old radio shows thru the Truetone. The radio works great except when the engine is running because I haven’t installed all the filters needed to stop the engine interference. It was a fun project so good luck with yours.

Thanks,
Charlie

jameson5938    -- 01-14-2020 @ 2:47 PM
  The 37 Ford Pickup DEFINITELY had the radio and clock and several other options available from Ford! I have a Deluxe model (chrome grill, etc.) which has a radio and clock. After a LOT of research, I found out that when a radio was order for a 37, a 36 radio was installed so to get rid of all the 36 model radios that were not sold in 36. Some people when ordering a 37 from a dealership, specified they wanted a 37 radio. Many received the 37 radio UNTIL HENRY FOUND OUT. He put a stop to that practice and continued supplying the ordered 37's with a 36 radio until stock was greatly diminished. Then at some point in 37, the 37 radios were again put in the vehicle from the factory. There was a special plate that was installed that allowed for the 36 radio to fit the opening that was designed for the 37 radio. You could remove this plate and install a 37 radio when they again became available. I must admit, I have a really strange 37 Ford Pickup. It was ordered from Ford by the DEALERSHIP OWNER. He went crazy with options!!! He had the money and means, but it has taken me YEARS to find all the accessories as many were sold before I got the ole girl out of California. All that remained was the hole where the radio used to be. Same with the clock! The rear sliding window was still intact although not in the best condition. Mine does have the ash try under the radio. On standard models, I don't think the ask tray will fit!

James A. Westbrook

jameson5938    -- 01-14-2020 @ 2:51 PM
  Just wanted to let you know that the radio, clock, rear sliding window, Unity Sportlite spotlight, heater and several other options WERE available from Ford for the 37 models. I have an old article that shows most of them. I have a separate article that shows the optional DOME LIGHT as well. Mine is a Deluxe model with chrome grill, etc. But the accessories were available separately - not part of the Deluxe package. If you would like copies of the accessories available in 37 - just let me know. I will be happy to send you copies.

James A. Westbrook

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=12423