Topic: coil installation using Petronix Ignitor, '48 Ford

Hardie    -- 09-22-2018 @ 10:31 AM
  Wondering if anyone out there is using or is familiar with Petronix Igniter ignition in the flatheads (1948, 239 cid V8). I'm using one of Skip Haney's coils with an external resister and have installed the "igniter" in my distributor. I have not installed the distributor or the coil just yet but they are ready to go. Before I do the installation I want to be sure I've got the coil wired properly ,that the resister is wired as it should be if in fact it should still be in the system. Tired of substandard points and condensers that I'm sure have crossed salt water while en route to North America. Petronix, made in the USA works for me.

Mac

TomO    -- 09-22-2018 @ 11:45 AM
  I don't understand your question.

The 1948 truck used the round coil with an internal resister and if you are still 6 volts positive ground, the coil should be wired with the wire going to the distributor on the + or coil terminal. There should be no external resister in the 1948 truck ignition system.

You should just follow the instruction sheet that you received with your igniter.

Make sure that you have spare points and condenser with you when you travel. The solid state electronics do not like the transient spikes in the early Ford electrical systems.

Tom

Hardie    -- 09-22-2018 @ 2:53 PM
  Thanks Tom. I should have pointer out the '48 is a Canadian sedan coupe.

Mac

TomO    -- 09-23-2018 @ 7:35 AM
  Mac,

Now that you pointed out that it is a car that you are working on, I would carry a spare distributor and coil for when the Petronixs fails. If the spare coil is the round coil used in the 49-55 Ford cars, you should also remove the reisister when you replace the stock coil.

You do need to keep the ignition resister to protect the original type 6 volt coil.

Tom

wmsteed    -- 10-05-2018 @ 7:13 AM
  I have used Petronix Ignitor's in several vehicles during the past twenty-five years.. I have used the Petronix on several Y Block Fords, and a '53 Pontiac straight eight, 6v positive ground. Never had a problem. I have always made it a habit to call Petronix' tech line for instructions, applications etc.
On several occasions the parts counterman at the store I was dealing with did not know what he was talking about.
This was especially true for the '53 Pontiac. When I called Petronix I was told that I had been sold the wrong unit. Petronix gave me the number for the correct module, also told me that I would have to use their 12v Flame-Thrower coil.. I questioned the 12v coil and was told that 6v systems have very high resistance, electronic ignitions require very high voltage, ergo the 12v coil.
Never had a problem with the Pontiac in all the years I owned it.

Bill
36 5 win delx cpe

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=12355