Topic: Ford/Champion labeled plugs

42 1/2ton    -- 09-13-2018 @ 1:44 PM
  This is my first post so hope I am not asking a really lame question. I have a 1942 Ford Commercial with 29A, 100 hp engine and have located a carton of 10 Ford/Champion H9 Comm plugs that are NOS. I have also done several searches and understand that these are thought to be replacement plugs. My question is if the vehicle were being judged would points be lost with these plugs installed?

ford38v8    -- 09-13-2018 @ 4:34 PM
  Yes, a deduction should be made for incorrect plugs, up to a maximum of 8 points.

As an explanation, the H9s were not "Like Henry Made It", nor was there a Ford Script on the plugs. As coke bottle shape plugs, they would come close to appearance but for the markings, so in my opinion, the maximum 8 point deduction would be excessive. That said, many owners blacken modern H10C plugs and get away with no deduction at all.

Original plugs are available, although quite expensive, and would be found on all high point cars.

Edit: A better answer can be found on the FB.
Alan

This message was edited by ford38v8 on 9-13-18 @ 4:43 PM

kubes40    -- 09-13-2018 @ 5:28 PM
  To reiterate my response on the FordBarn:
Well, I can add this...
Having served as both a judge and a deputy judge (numerous times) I would not deduct for FORD plugs.
Why?

Well, no one knows for certain if these were factory installed or service parts. How could I possibly defend one position or the other if I simply don't know which position is correct?
I would deduct if they are five rib plugs.

And, to add a bit... H9 plugs were in fact typically installed in light commercial vehicles. They are absolutely correct.

Mike "Kube" Kubarth

42 1/2ton    -- 09-14-2018 @ 9:28 AM
  Mike, Alan, thank you both for your responses. You both have given me the info that I needed as always.
Thanks Again
Ed

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=12337