Topic: 1941 Ford Truck Hard Start

fordtruck41    -- 05-17-2018 @ 1:53 PM
  I have a 1941 Ford flathead 6 cylinder that is hard to start after the engine warms up. Acts as though battery is weak and engine will not turn over.
After cooling down everything is ok. Engine runs fine otherwise. Not sure if problem is starter, battery or other problem. Any suggestions
Thanks...Robert

alanwoodieman    -- 05-17-2018 @ 6:35 PM
  good place to start, clean all of the connections-battery post-ground cables-solenoid connections-starter connections. Has anyone replaced any of the battery cables? are they the right size? when you try to start a warm engine check to see if any of the battery cables get hot. if all this checks out I would pull the starter and check for dragging armature, bad brushes.

fordtruck41    -- 05-19-2018 @ 3:01 PM
  Thank you for the suggestions. I will check all of your suggestions. The battery cable from the battery to the solenoid is new
but the cable from solenoid is the original cotton covered cable. Still looks good but I will replace it.

ken ct.    -- 05-19-2018 @ 4:14 PM
  Do not buy 12V cables. 6V must use heavy cables (like welding cables). ken ct.

shogun1940    -- 06-03-2018 @ 9:24 AM
  Ok this totally of the wall , i put two 6volt optima batteries in series. But The first one is wired directly between the starter and the solenoid,,,,,, the second one is wired normally from battery to the other side of the solenoid. This gives me 12 volt start and 6 volt run . I do have to charge the the battery wired to the starter occasionally. Remember they are positive ground. I am working on how to keep the secondary battery charged. This an experiment!!!!!!!

TomO    -- 06-05-2018 @ 7:48 AM
  The Ford starter works very well on 6 volts and giving it 12 volts to start the engine can cause the starter dive gear or the ring gear to fail. Fix the problem with the starting circuit and save yourself the trouble of maintaining a non-stock system.

Do a search on "1940 start after running" for the steps to trouble shoot the problem.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11942