Topic: air cleaner

Maxthedog1    -- 04-28-2018 @ 5:09 PM
  Where can I find the air cleaner element for the oil bath air filter on a 1950 flathead V8? Or, alternatively, is there a paper filter that can be used in the same cleaner housing?

alanwoodieman    -- 04-29-2018 @ 4:23 PM
  the element is pretty much installed when the air cleaner is made--not really replaceable-just clean and replace the oil in the lower part up to the fill line. I have obtained the mesh that is in the top half from a commercial range hood repair/parts company and used it for other uses but I guess you could take the element apart and replace the wire mesh

trjford8    -- 04-30-2018 @ 6:28 AM
  Use the search feature and find a discussion by Loganser dated 5-17-2010. Supereal has posted a way to convert an oil bath air cleaner to a paper filter in that discussion.

Maxthedog1    -- 04-30-2018 @ 8:17 AM
  Thanks for the suggestion. However, when I try to do a search, the search function won't go back more than a year. I tried scrolling thru the posts, looking for that individual's name, and could not find it either. I must be doing something wrong!

efv8CofAAdmin    -- 04-30-2018 @ 8:55 AM
  Make sure that you are changing the In the Past to ALL.
If you use air cleaner as your keyword -- you will get 121 responses.

The name you are looking for is Louganser (not Loganser)

It is there --- near the bottom of the list.

Web Administrator

Maxthedog1    -- 04-30-2018 @ 9:24 AM
  Well, I finally found the page you were talking about. But unfortunately, the "How To" attachment is no longer accessible. So I might follow the other suggestion of taking the air cleaner housing to my auto parts store, and see if they can find a paper filter that will fit. Thanks.

51f1    -- 05-07-2018 @ 6:09 AM
  There must be something I am missing. If the original oil bath air cleaner has the mesh portion, what are you going to do with a paper element? The mesh filter is attached to the top of the filter and is removed as an unit. There is no way to install a paper element short of modifying the filter assembly. There have been instructions posted on different sites that show how to modify the old filter by removing the mesh filter and replacing it with a paper element.

Oil bath air filters are still used on some heavy industrial engines due to their capacity to trap dirt; however it won't trap dirt nearly efficiently as a paper filter.

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11862