Topic: Rear Axle assembly to fit ''47 Pickup

knuckle44    -- 04-15-2018 @ 9:27 PM
  I took my '47 pickup rear axle assembly apart and it is going to be expensive to bring back to good working order. Can you recommend an assembly that would bolt up to the leaf springs and be the correct width? I think a somewhat modern rear end might be the wise path.
Thank you

CharlieStephens    -- 04-15-2018 @ 9:46 PM
  You might have better luck asking this question on HAMB, https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/forums/the-hokey-ass-message-board.5/

Charlie Stephens

alanwoodieman    -- 04-16-2018 @ 5:53 AM
  look for a 9" ford rear axle, 1967 to 72 ford pu, fit even though a little wider backing plate to backing plate. you can get about any gearing you want and also as an added benefit you will get self energizing brakes. around here they are plentiful and we just purchased two with 3:25 gearing for $175.00 for both! the spring pads will need to be moved, not a hard job

knuckle44    -- 04-16-2018 @ 11:03 AM
  Alan, Do you know how much wider the 67-72 rear axle assembly is that the '47? Also, I am in New Mexico, where are you finding the ones you just purchased?
Thanks, John

alanwoodieman    -- 04-16-2018 @ 11:41 AM
  if I remember correctly it is about 1/4 or 1/2 inch. I am in SC and the local hot rodders do not use this axle as they opt for the newer ones with disc brake set up. so the axles have gotten cheaper. I have one in the shop now-go measure between the backing plates on yours and post the width and I will check it against my 9"

trjford8    -- 04-16-2018 @ 1:47 PM
  To measure correctly you need to measure axle flange to axle flange where the wheels bolt up to the axle. The backing plate measurement can be deceptive due to the different width of brakes on the Ford rear ends. On the wider brakes the backing plates are recessed more and therefore give you a narrower reading. Give the flange to flange measurement and the center to center measurement of the spring center bolts and I may be able to help. In your pickup you can use the 8" Ford rear or the 9" Ford rear. Due to the width of your rear fenders you may also be able to use a rear that is slightly wider than your original. Also do your rear springs go under the axle or sit on top of the axle?

42oink    -- 04-17-2018 @ 10:23 AM
  Hi Knuckles, (obviously a Ford man with that nickname) Here is a thought; since a lot of early trucks are getting street rodded these days, ask around or go to some rod runs and see if you can find someone with a replaced rear end sitting in their backyard. If originality is of concern. Otherwise, consider a Ford Granada rear from the mid '70s. If interested, let me know here and I'll measure mine. Good luck. 42oink.

trjford8    -- 04-18-2018 @ 10:42 AM
  42oink, the Grenada rear measures 58" from axle flange to axle flange,

knuckle44    -- 04-19-2018 @ 9:15 AM
  I would like to find a 9" rear end. Drum brakes are ok with me. The springs are above the axle. The spring mounting pads centerline measurement is 40 5/16". The drum mounting flange measurement, outside to outside is 54 13/16".

shogun1940    -- 04-28-2018 @ 10:38 AM
  I have a ford 8” in forty car,, came out of ford Granada 78 maybe fits good

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11823