Topic: 8BA or 8RT in my 1950 F-1?

glenn_2718    -- 11-15-2017 @ 10:21 AM
  I have a early 1950 F-1. The heads are marked "8BA which I thought were specific to Ford cars, not trucks". I have read that F-1 heads should be marked "8RT". Did some F-1s come equipped with "8BA" heads? Are there important differences that would make the "8RT" more desirable in a truck than the "8BA" (say perhaps in coolant capacity)?

This message was edited by glenn_2718 on 11-17-17 @ 6:00 AM

alanwoodieman    -- 12-12-2017 @ 3:50 PM
  8rt heads are lower in compression than 8ba heads--that is what I have heard from a long time ago. I had a 51 1 1/2 ton army truck and specs for it required 8ba heads on the engine

f1ford48    -- 12-12-2017 @ 7:07 PM
  8RT is the correct engine for all 48-53 ford trucks until you get into the larger 337 CI on the big F-7 and F-8.. the oil pans{to clear the straight front axle]- besides many other items- are a truck only item found on the 8RT.
8BA is a car engine.

51f1    -- 12-17-2017 @ 11:56 AM
  The 8BA and 8RT engines were the same except the accessories such as the oil pans were different. The accessory differences explains the different model designations. I have posted all of the differences in the accessories on this forum at least twice. I am sure others have too.

The displacement of the 8BA and 8RT engines are both 239.4 cubic inches. They both produced 100 hp. On this particular truck, either the heads were replaced with car heads or the engine was replaced with a car engine at some point, of course, swapping the engine accessories. Another possibility is that the truck came from the factory with 8BA heads. Ford did stuff like that.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 4-15-18 @ 2:54 PM

FordFreak    -- 12-19-2017 @ 6:30 PM
  My never restored '52 F1 has 8BA heads on it . Might be from the factory , as I don't believe the motor has ever been out of the truck . Then again , a previous owner could have installed the 8BA heads to gain more compression .

glenn_2718    -- 12-26-2017 @ 2:30 PM
  FordFreak,
I hope you're right. But even if the engine or heads aren't original, the engine is running well. As a sidenote, my 8BA is blue rather than red. Anyone know how to tell if an engine came with a given vehicle from the factory, say, using serial numbers or something? I'd just like to know for sure.
Glenn

FordFreak    -- 01-03-2018 @ 12:41 PM
  Mine shows green paint on it . What is left of paint on it , that is !

trjford8    -- 01-03-2018 @ 3:48 PM
  To my knowledge there are no numbers on a block that will tell you what vehicle the motor was originally installed in. Commercial vehicles usually got leftover parts as they were the low dollar vehicle produced by Ford. When going down the assembly line if they ran out of 8RT heads they probably installed 8BA heads. They certainly would not shut down an assembly line waiting for specific head. If your motor had been rebuilt at one time, even by someone who contracted with Ford, they probably didn't bother to make sure the same heads went back on the motor from which they came. If your motor runs good and runs cool leave it alone and just enjoy it. A lot of people will pass through your town and never know that your pickup may not have the correct heads.

FordFreak    -- 01-03-2018 @ 7:24 PM
  ^^^^^ I have heard that before , many times in fact . ^^^^^
I really does make sense ! My 8BA runs well & does not get hot , so I am pleased ............F F

51f1    -- 02-12-2018 @ 6:03 PM
  The engines were red. Some truck engines were painted green or blue when they were rebuilt or cleaned-up because that paint was readily available in spray cans. The particular shade of Ford engine red used on the trucks was not available. Today, no one that I know of can tell you exactly what the shade of the red was.

The assembly plant code along with other information such as production number, paint code, etc., was sometimes stamped into the middle of the cowl inside the hood. Not all factories did that.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 4-15-18 @ 2:55 PM

f1ford48    -- 02-28-2018 @ 12:53 PM
  I have seen a color picture somewhere of an assembly line showing the F-1s being built in the same line as the cars-the engines on the conveyor were mostly painted the car bronze with a truck engine painted red as was required so I believe the engines were assembled as car and truck specifically.
when I restored my engine I used Moss Motors MG engine red- I have a few nos engine parts such as a thermostat housing and the moss paint is a very close match.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=11378