Topic: Fuel Pump for 1951 8BA

Big Red 51    -- 10-10-2009 @ 8:44 AM
  Carpenter offers a 9785-9350 Fuel Pump for $80 while C&G has one for $66. Anyone know what the difference might be? I think they are both new. $66 sounds like China, however, I thought C&G sticks with US products.
Thanks for your reply.

supereal    -- 10-10-2009 @ 9:08 AM
  We have used C&G pumps with no problems. If you have the double action (with vacuum pump), $80 would be cheap. Otherwise, it is a bit pricey. Carpenter is mostly noted for rubber seals and plastic parts, and I am guessing they add on a bit for items they sell few of. It is getting very difficult to find USA made parts, even for modern cars today. You might try you local NAPA, O'Reilly, etc, for your '51. We have bought them there, too.

Big Red 51    -- 10-10-2009 @ 9:41 AM
  Thanks Super, It is the straight pump w/glass bowl..
I checked NAPA and they have the NFPM826 pump for $49.
I just need one for backup so the NAPA pump should fill the bill.
Thanks

51f1    -- 10-10-2009 @ 2:11 PM
  I've bought an awful lot from Carpenter for at least 20 years. I don't agree that they mostly have seals and plastic parts. They have just about anything anyone needs, including a lot of NOS stuff. They used to make a lot of stuff themselves, however, in order to be competitive, like everyone else, including Drake, they now get a lot of it from China and India, and I have complained about quality. The poorest quality item I ever got from them was a headlight bucket for a '51 truck. I wrote and complained about the "junk from China." Boy, was I embarrassed to learn it was made in the USA by a friend of Dennis Carpenter! Anyway, they say they are now demanding better quality from their foreign suppliers. I hope they also demand better quality from their domestic suppliers.

Richard

This message was edited by 51f1 on 10-10-09 @ 2:13 PM

supereal    -- 10-10-2009 @ 2:50 PM
  We have bought a considerable amount of parts from Carpenter, particularly parts for Cushman scooters that not available elsewhere. The parts they make are always top quality, but like other vendors, they are at the mercy of the market for those items they don't manufacture. I am not knocking Dennis Carpenter. He has contributed to the early V8 hobby for many years. He pioneered the reproduction of plastic parts, and their rubber parts are always top notch, but like other vendors, many of their goods are less than satisfactory. I will say that their return policy is better than most places.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=113