Topic: 1950 Ford F47 (Canadian F1) Engine Color

kirkf    -- 10-05-2016 @ 11:19 AM
  In 1950,51,52 all Canadian Ford Trucks (F47, F68, etc) were delivered with a 239 V8 flathead motor and full flow oil filters to meet the Canadian Military Specification at the time.

They were also delivered with a unique cream/beige engine paint which I believe was also part of the military specification.

Despite my best attempts I've been unable to find out exactly what this paint colour is. This colour was used on all Ford Canada engines shipped worldwide, including Australia and New Zealand.

I contacted Ford Heritage Canada and they were unable to answer my question.

Once I determined the colour might be due to the military specification, I started looking at standard colours used by the British Military, as I believe Canada hadn't moved to the USA military paint spec in 1950.

Standard British camouflage colours such as Light Stone No. 61 or Pale Cream No. 52. look like possibilities.

Attached are pictures of a transmission with original paint still showing. The really clean area might be 'too clean' as I used a shot of brake clean on it which reacted with the paint more than I expected.

If anyone can positively identify this colour, or has a copy of the military spec Ford used at the time I would really appreciate it.

Thanx,

Kirk

This message was edited by kirkf on 10-5-16 @ 11:34 AM

kirkf    -- 10-05-2016 @ 11:21 AM
  Here is a second image of a 1950 transmission with original paint still visible.

kirkf    -- 02-01-2018 @ 10:44 AM

After very extensive searching, I've come to the conclusion that no one on earth knows the exact colour that was used.

Cummins Beige an is excellent choice for those wishing to restore their engine to the original colour.

Kirk

Big Red 51    -- 02-02-2018 @ 8:46 AM
  The USA 1954 239 Y block engine was a creme color which looks very close to your picture( not even close to the '54 paint chip in 1st picture). I always used the Packard Creme engine paint for the '54 Y Block . Hirsch Paints in Newark NJ has it both ways, brush and spray.

Good Luck, Don

Tul01    -- 02-28-2018 @ 6:17 AM
  My Canadian 1952 F3 has had at least one rebuilt engine so it is blue. My transmission is the same beige as your photo. I have a different engine to put in and i would like to paint it proper colour. My motor and trans should both be the beige colour? I have read elsewhere that the cummins beige is close to the correct colour. I have a can of alpine green which a local guy told me was on all the 1952 Ford motors. Just want to get it right. Thanks. Brent.

51f1    -- 03-25-2018 @ 4:30 AM
  No one knows the color of the engines in trucks built in the USA either except that it was red. Just pick a color you think is closest (if no one knows the exact color, how can they argue)?

Richard

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=17&Topic=10137