Topic: Hooking up the Generator

deric47merc    -- 03-25-2010 @ 8:59 AM
  Hey All,

Can someone please give me some advice on how to hook up my generator? It has one connection on the back and two on the side. i have tried to hook it up but when the engine is running and i disconnect battery the engine dies. Someone told me that is how i can tell if generator is working. The wires that are coming to the generator has 4 lines. i hooked up three of them to the generator but i am not sure what the 4th is? the wire is bent so that it looks like it would connect to the coil but i am not sure if that is right either?

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks

Deric

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 9:18 AM
  The hookup is fairly simple. The armature is the terminal on the back cover of the generator. It connects to the ARM terminal on the voltage regulator. The side terminals are field, usually marked "F", and ground. The field connection goes to the corresponding post on the regulator, and the ground connects to either a ground lug on the regulator, or to the chassis of the regulator. The Batt terminal on the regulator goes to and thru the ampmeter on the dash. If you have the original "breaker" (the one with the ignition resistor), the batt wire will connect there. I'm not sure what the 4th wire is for. If you can see any color code on the wire, we can trace it. The only way determine if the generator is working is to observe the ammeter, or hook a voltmeter to the batt terminal. If you observe voltage a bit over 7 volts, the generator is working when the engine is above idle. All system connections should be made with the engine turned off. If the generator isn't working, the engine should run on the battery alone, unless it is dead, or miswired. As you describe it, it appears that the ignition is depending on the generator alone. If you need a wiring diagram for your car, I can e-mail it to you so you can see the connections and color codes.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-25-2010 @ 5:15 PM
  you also could to see if the generator is working,
disconnect the fan belt,
disconnect all wiring to the generator
take a jumper cable from the battery to the ARM terminal on the generator, and see if it spins, or motors,
this is only to see if the generator will work,
when testing this way, only for a very short time,5-10 seconds, it should spin right away,
becarefull with the jumper cable,
a 10 gauge wire will work,
were gloves,
this will not tell you how good the generator is but if it spins it will produce currant,
IF IT SPINS FAST the generator is in pretty good condition,
you could also clean the copper comutater ,inspect to see if it is burnt,or shiny copper and see how the generator brushes are worn down,etc etc,
once you have it wired up you can run the engine and with a volt meter see if it puts out around 7 volts,
hope this helps 37RAGTOPMAN

Stroker    -- 03-26-2010 @ 6:11 AM
  All:

In all of this testing to demonstrate that the generator is indeed functional, one might suggest
that the generator be polarized prior to putting back in operation.

TomO    -- 03-27-2010 @ 10:08 AM
  Here is a link to the wiring diagram.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/FH_web/FH_images/FH_electrical-pics/Flathead_Electrical_wiring1946-48car.jpg

One of the 4 wires that you have does go to the coil, it should be red colored. The black and red wire should go to the ground connection on the side of the generator, the yellow and black wire connects to the Arm terminal on the back of the generator and the black and white wire goes to the field connection on the side of the generator.

To polarize a generator, remove the wire from the field terminal of the regulator and momentarily touch it to the battery terminal of the regulator.

To check the generator for output, temporarily jumper between the arm and field terminals, run the engine up to about 1500RPM and observe the voltage at the battery terminal. it should be at least 7.5 volts.

DO NOT leave this connection for more than a minute or 2 as your generator will be damaged.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=981