Topic: Convert vs Closed Car Dash

fatfender    -- 03-23-2010 @ 12:01 PM
  Is the dash on a 46 to 48 Mercury the same for convertible and closed cars? Are the interior windshield garnish moldings the same? What about the outside windshield stainless, different between the 2?
Thanks for any info
Brad

Rusty    -- 03-23-2010 @ 6:36 PM
  The open car and closed car dashes are the same physically. The open car had a wood grain pattern and the closed cars were painted. The door garnish mouldings are the same as used on the Ford convertible. There is no difference in the outside windshield stainless between closed and open.

supereal    -- 03-24-2010 @ 10:34 AM
  When I restored my '47 Ford convertible, I did find differences in both the windshield gasket and the stainless trim. They also have different part numbers than the closed cars. I finally found a set of NOS stainless trim in Ohio, and it wasn't cheap. The open car bodies were almost all made by a different place than the closed cars, making parts scarce, to say the least. I spent 5 years tracking decent parts for my car.

Rusty    -- 03-24-2010 @ 7:49 PM
  Supereal is correct that the windshield seal, or strip (windshield weather)as Ford calls it,is different in a convertible and an open car. However, there is no difference in the outside stainless moulding. 11A-760388&9 fit all body styles. Yes, the 76 in the part number indicates it was designed for the convertible application, but these parts fit all body styles. Further, the 11A prefix indicates it was designed for the 1941 models but it fits Ford and Mercury through 1948. This can be verified by reading the Body book.

supereal    -- 03-25-2010 @ 9:34 AM
  Hate to disagree, Rusty, but the stainless for the closed car didn't fit my convert, or match the pieces I had in stock. When I got the car, someone had evidently hammered the wrong trim into place, causing it to be ruined. The difference is slight, but important. The center bar is common to all cars. The body parts catalog says the trim fits all, too, but apparently the gasket difference is a problem, or at least it was for us, to keep the corners from puckering. I suspect that the windshield for the 71 (Sportsman) and 76(convertible), like much of the body, was a bit different.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=971