Topic: 1940 Glove Box

jerandbee    -- 05-19-2016 @ 1:47 PM
  My glove box door on my 40 Merc. sags down about 1/4" so that it does not line up with the rest of the dash board. Before I take out the liner and create a possible headache for me, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the door hinges have any hidden adjustment and if so what will I find and what should I do to get it to close higher. At present there is no way to even force it to close higher. Many thanks.
Jerry Luthin

trjford8    -- 05-19-2016 @ 5:52 PM
  Are the hinge pins worn? If it's like a '40 Ford you should be able to shim the hinge assembly upward to close the gap.

TomO    -- 05-20-2016 @ 7:23 AM
  Jerry, the only adjustment is where the door mounts to the hinge. You can enlarge the holes slightly to get more adjustment, but be careful to make sure that the enlargement is covered by the screw heads. Tom's advice about shiming the hinge, is also a way to get better alignment.

I think that the latch adjustment also affects the alignment.

I aligned my door without the plastic and then mounted the plastic to align it with the rest of the dash plastic.

Tom

jerandbee    -- 05-20-2016 @ 10:03 AM
  Thank you very much - I will take a closer look with the liner removed.

jerandbee    -- 05-20-2016 @ 10:05 AM
  Many thanks Tom - I will take a look see - doubt if I could raise the plastic since the clock hole is already set and I would have to raise the clock mounting screws also. It sounds like it is worth checking into.

jerandbee    -- 05-31-2016 @ 12:03 PM
  I got the glove box door in perfect alignment. Once I got the glove box out and saw how the hinges were attached, I merely added three flat washers under the hinge bracket left side bolt and two on the right side and then adjusted the latch to hold the door closed tightly AND walla!!! perfect - it raised the door up just enough. Most happy = thanks to all who responded and gave me confidence to tear into it and see how it all works.
Jerry Luthin

TomO    -- 06-01-2016 @ 7:28 AM
  It sure is nice when it all comes together. The 40 Mercury dash is one of the best looking dashes ever designed.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=9688