Topic: '47 dash colors

Rhutch    -- 03-20-2010 @ 10:43 AM
  My dash is painted a light grey, although the ash tray doors show a silver brown when the grey paint is removed. The plastic three pieces are an incorrect butterscotch color. The car is a two door sedan coupe and is painted a deep red almost maroon. Any suggestions on the dash colors? Thank you all for your responses and I intend to search for an original color in the dash area....Ron

This message was edited by Rhutch on 3-26-10 @ 6:34 PM

supereal    -- 03-22-2010 @ 8:35 AM
  I'm not sure that Ford and Mercury shared the same dash colors, but the Club's excellent '41-'48 book has a section on the topic, together with color chips and formulas. It does show a kind of metallic tan.

TomO    -- 03-23-2010 @ 7:46 AM
  There were different dash colors for the Ford and Mercury. I don't have the information for the 47-48 cars but the 46 Mercury had either a brown metallic or a grey-green metallic color. Those colors were used in the 47-48 cars, but there were trim changes that may have added colors. I would check with the Club's 42-48 Mercury Adviser.

Tom

Rusty    -- 03-23-2010 @ 6:46 PM
  TomO is correct. The 47 dash was grey-green or rust in color. I do not have a formula so you will have to find a good spot and have it color matched. I would remove the stainless from the glove box door and see what is under that for a paint match.

Once you get the color the steering mast jacket, shifter, windshield and door garnishes are the same color.

Rusty Davis
42-48 Mercury Advisor

TomO    -- 03-27-2010 @ 10:25 AM
  Rusty, are the same colors used on the 46-48 or were the 47-48 colors different? I was at the Early Ford V-8 Foundation Museum this week and the original 46 Coupe has a brown metallic dashboard not a rust colored.

Tom

Rusty    -- 03-27-2010 @ 7:58 PM
  TomO,
I would agree with you that the color looks more Brown than Rust but Ford called it Rust in their releases and literature. Rather than confuse the issue, I try to follow their lead. Because of this discrepency of color versus name throughout the era we pursue, that is why color matching to an original unexposed color patch is so important. The 47-48's used a metallic gray dash much like the Ford color.

Rusty    -- 03-27-2010 @ 7:58 PM
  TomO,
I would agree with you that the color looks more Brown than Rust but Ford called it Rust in their releases and literature. Rather than confuse the issue, I try to follow their lead. Because of this discrepency of color versus name throughout the era we pursue, that is why color matching to an original unexposed color patch is so important. The 47-48's used a metallic gray dash much like the Ford color.

Dobie    -- 02-10-2011 @ 6:42 PM
  At one time I used a '91 Nisson color #46952 for my dash. The last time I used Deltron DBC47192 Sierra Green Both of these are the green metallic.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=961