Topic: Clutch Chatter Tie Rods

len47merc    -- 10-08-2014 @ 8:56 AM
  Anyone have any experience with the effectiveness of clutch chatter tie rods on our Fords/Mercs? Particularly '40-'48? I was given a new, complete NOS set still in the box and know the 59AB motor in my '47 has the mounting flange holes on each side of the block but question whether any benefit will be achieved by installing. Have a new clutch and pressure plate (<2,000 miles on them) and all forward gears are smooth as butter. Reverse is also at low rpms/power application - at higher rpms in reverse upon letting the clutch slip I feel a bit of what one might call 'chatter' that, while not intolerable, might be improved or resolved with the tie rod set. I have no experience or knowledge of the function and performance of this somewhat non-intuitive device. Looking for experienced advice - thanks.

edit - front motor mounts are new, trans mount is original with now 41K miles.

Steve

This message was edited by len47merc on 10-8-14 @ 4:59 PM

TomO    -- 10-09-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  They really don't help much and were discontinued after WWII on new cars.

Tom

len47merc    -- 10-09-2014 @ 8:02 AM
  Thanks Tom

Steve

supereal    -- 10-09-2014 @ 3:23 PM
  I have a diagram of an aftermarket brace which claimed to reduce clutch chatter years ago. I can't vouch for the effectiveness. The main culprit in clutch chatter is that the disc facing, which used to be asbestos, was dropped for hazard reasons, and replaced with an "organic" material. I believe it will always be with us until a better facing is devised.

len47merc    -- 10-09-2014 @ 6:12 PM
  Bob, I believe the one I was given is an aftermarket model from the 50's like you reference as it connects to the bottom 2 bell housing bolts (versus the mounting flanges on each side of the block) and then hooks in the hole in the frame behind the radius rod ball. Based on both your and Tom's comments I think I'll leave well enough alone and find another home for this. Thanks as always Bob.

Steve

supereal    -- 10-10-2014 @ 1:00 PM
  You are welcome, Steve.It was originally thought the shudder was caused, or at least made worse, by the torque tube pushing the engine forward, then the clutch linkage amplified the problem as the engine/transmission linkage was affected. Thus the rods were tried and later discontinued. Often, there was limited shudder until the clutch was replaced. Then, the non asbestos disk facing chattered. I developed the habit of starting out in second gear when possible. That does ease it a bit.

Stroker    -- 10-11-2014 @ 6:50 AM
  Supereal brings up an interesting point that I have always believed to be the logic behind the factory installed rods. The "feedback" into the lever style clutch linkage due to the engine being pushed forward or pulled back with the torque tube would be most noticeable when backing while feathering the clutch. Restricting that fore/aft movement via the rods theoretically should have helped. When Ford went to the spade and trunion style clutch linkage, slight fore/aft movement would not have had any effect on the position of the clutch linkage. I have no idea why Ford continued to install these after 1939, but I do know that very few survived the first engine swap.

johncard    -- 12-11-2020 @ 4:08 PM
  I don't think the post war Fords had those rods. I installed an after market anti-chatter device on my 46 Ford, it did no good at all.

carcrazy    -- 12-11-2020 @ 8:05 PM
  Clutch chatter is experienced with cars that have a torque tube driveshaft when too much looseness is present at the various powertrain mounting points. Be sure all of the following mounts are secure and have no excess movement in them: motor mounts, transmission mounts, rear shock absorber links and the rear spring.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7798