Topic: Dash paint color for 1940 Mercury 09A

jerandbee    -- 05-18-2014 @ 7:26 PM
  Does anyone have the DuPont paint number for the grey-blue dash paint for a 1940 Merc?

TomO    -- 05-19-2014 @ 2:47 PM
  I had to custom mix the paint for my car. I do not have a cross reference to a modern formula. The Ford number for Seamist Metallic is M-1793.

When I mixed the paint, I did not have a formula, so we just mixed colors until we got a match to the glove box door that had been out of the sun.

There was a company called Color-Rite that said they had the dash color in spray cans, but I think that they are out of business.

Tom

jerandbee    -- 05-19-2014 @ 9:53 PM
  Gosh Tom, thank you for sure!!!! Big help - I will now have something to search for with a name and Ford number. If I find anything I will post on the Forum

Jerry

jerandbee    -- 05-19-2014 @ 10:15 PM
  Tom,
Your help found the dash paint - It is available from TCP Global phone 858-909-2110 in quarts or gallons - price is $52 a quart approx. their number is RSP-AE-D acrylic enamel - use the Ford Number of M-1793 Sea Mist Metallic and it comes up.

Thank you so much.
Jerry

TomO    -- 05-20-2014 @ 6:32 AM
  Jerry, ask for a sprayout sample before you buy the paint. I bought the heater paint from TCP Global and it was way darker than the heater should be. The heater was a light gray and the TCP paint was a dark gray. I had to take it to a body shop friend to correct the sample.

See if you can just get a pint of the paint, I used less than a half pint doing the dash and steering wheel twice. The dash got scratched while waiting to be installed and the steering wheel repair had to be done over.

Here is a photo of my dash, before installing it in the car.

Tom

jerandbee    -- 05-20-2014 @ 7:23 PM
  Dash looks great - I will try and get a pint of the paint or at least a color chip or something from them. I got a quart of lyon blue for touch up and it came right on the money.

as time permits - can you send a pic of the little plastic know that goes on the on/off ignition switch - need to fabricate one and can't seem to find out what they should look like.

Thanks for all your good advice.

TomO    -- 05-21-2014 @ 7:18 AM
  My car is a late car, July 1940 time frame and did not have the plastic knob on the ignition switch. I sold my other car that was earlier, and I don't believe that it had a plastic knob either.

Try contacting Dan Kreible, the 39-40 Mercury advisor, to see if he can clarify this point. If he cannot, then you will have to contact the Archives for the engineering drawing of the knob.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=7337