Topic: 1939 Mercury or 1940 Mercury ? SEE PICTURE

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-30-2010 @ 7:00 AM
  I have a Nos I Believe a 1939 1940 Mercury choke assembley,
I have compared this to some of the FORD dash knobs and does not compare to any on a FORD ,I have seen,at shows,and the early Mercury's are hard to find,but thought that ,,, maybe this is a MERCURY?
it came from a older collector that bought out the old stock of car parts,
if you have any ideas , please leave a post,
thanks would like to sell, but want to know for sure what it is,
thanks,37RAGTOPMAN

TomO    -- 01-30-2010 @ 7:15 AM
  The 1940 mercury knobs were blue with white lettering. Can you post a photo of the complete assembly? The knob looks like a 1939 Mercury knob, but I would have to see the complete assembly to have a better idea.

Tom

Tracker    -- 01-30-2010 @ 7:19 AM
  That looks exactly like a choke knob on a 39 Mercury Sedan I acquired a few years back. Sold the car to a local Merc enthusiast and I will check it out to see if this is what you have. NOS is very rare and you have a find.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-30-2010 @ 3:49 PM
  I posted more pictures,
many thanks for your help and interest,
37 RAGTOPMAN

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-30-2010 @ 3:50 PM
  ANOTHER PICTURE,

TomO    -- 01-31-2010 @ 8:31 AM
  That looks just like the 39 choke cable. One of the regular users of this forum was looking for a cable like this last year. Advertise it for sale on this site or the V-8 Times.

Tom

Tracker    -- 01-31-2010 @ 10:16 AM
  What you have is identical to the 1939 Merc Sedan choke
knob. I checked the car yesterday with your picture in hand to compare...identical.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 01-31-2010 @ 11:13 AM
  THANKS
TOM O and TRACKER,for the information,
I listed on parts for sale, here on this web site,
thanks 37 RAGTOPMAN

fordmerc    -- 03-03-2010 @ 7:12 PM
  I "solved" my problem : I needed choke and throttle controls. I got repro knobs for choke and throttle. I also got easily available coil wrapped cable throttle/choke controls (for ATV, mowers, Fords, snowmobiles). Also got accelerator link to carb rod (repro). Cut off ends of rod. Leave 1/2 - 3/4 in. Drill hole in the rod to the connector same size (slightly larger) than cable. (Hole is parallel to the length of the rod.)Shorten the cable and the coiled guide appropriately. Braze cable into hole so that now the end of the cable has a connector on the end.
Remove whatever knob is on the proximal end of the purchased cable. (Chip away the plastic with a scissors, needle nose pliers etc.) Heat the remaining metal end (looked like a #8 nail head) with a torch to red hot. Then push the red hot end into the repro plastic part. You also need to consider how far into the plastic to push the cable end: center it.Hold still for 3 min and blow on it to cool it. Voila! ---better than original. Worked for throttle and choke.
Before starting, carefully measure the length. Choke and throttle are different. You may need a couple of washers at the dash end since the available part is round and the original hole is oval. The instructions simplify the process, but careful contemplation of the project will confirm its simplicity.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=707