Topic: Rear window motor test - 4 wire motor

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-27-2014 @ 8:26 PM
  I want to test the motor (6V) on a 6 volt battery. The 4 leads are red, black, white and green.

Black to pos (+)

Red to neg (-)

White to ?

Green to ?

TomO    -- 01-28-2014 @ 9:14 AM
  The best way to test the motor is to hook it up to the relay and switch for window motor switch.

If you do not have a switch and relay you will have to use trial and error to find out which wires need to be connected together.

The wires should be color coded black, red,yellow and green.

The black wire goes to ground, red and yellow are probably the brush wires and green is the other field wire.

Check this out with an ohm meter, the meter connected to the black and green wires should read around 0 ohms and not change when the motor is turned by hand, The meter connected to the red and yellow wires should read around 0 ohms but it will fluctuate when the motor is turned by hand.

If the above readings are what you have, connect the yellow and red leads together and the green lead to the neg battery terminal and the black wire to the pos terminal. The motor should run in one direction.

If the readings are different, you will have to determine which wires go to the field and wich go to the armature or brushes.

Tom

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-28-2014 @ 3:26 PM
  Tom:

Thank you that did work. I do have the relays but I wanted to be able to bench test a motor without having to pull the back seat out of the car. I have been known to cary a 6V battery to swap meets just to check items before purchase. Since that rotated the motor in one direction is there a way to get it to turn in the other direction?

Thank you again,

Roy

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 1-28-14 @ 3:32 PM

TomO    -- 01-29-2014 @ 6:51 AM
  Try swapping the yellow and red wires. That should reverse the motor.

What year Mercury are you working on?

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-29-14 @ 6:52 AM

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-29-2014 @ 7:49 AM
  Roy:

The motor is not a permanent magnet motor and is not polarized. I must have had a brain fart when I typed in the wiring. You got the correct response, a spark, with that wiring.

The motor is a series wound motor. This means that the field is in series with the brush. The configuration that I assumed that you have is that the yellow and red leads are the field leads and that the green and black are the brush leads. Try wiring it this way:

first way
b = +
r = -
g + Y

second way reverse direction
b = +
y = -
g + r

Tom

Tom:

You are correct. I can not thank you enough.

Thanks again,

Roy

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 2-1-14 @ 8:30 PM

Merc Cruzer    -- 01-29-2014 @ 7:59 AM
  I have a 1953 Mercury Convertible.

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 1-29-14 @ 8:00 AM

TomO    -- 01-29-2014 @ 4:22 PM
  Nice car, I love the 53 Mercury. It was the best looking of them all. It was also my honeymoon car.

Tom

TomO    -- 02-01-2014 @ 9:34 AM
  Here is a corrected way to wire the dc motors used in window motors.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 2-1-14 @ 1:06 PM

TomO    -- 02-01-2014 @ 1:09 PM
  Corrected attachment.

Tom

Merc Cruzer    -- 02-02-2014 @ 6:01 AM
  Motor at issue

Merc Cruzer    -- 02-02-2014 @ 6:02 AM
  Redmond rear window motor

Merc Cruzer    -- 02-02-2014 @ 8:22 AM
  One final update. The motor is back together, and runs but slowly. Even with all the cleaning, the disassembly and the reassembly, the new parts, brush holders (they are NOS and are made from 60 year old plastic), there is still an issue. One last thought, what if I turn the back cover 180 degrees....well as it turns out that is what I probably should have done first. It appears that the back cover was slightly off center in one direction and merely turning it 180 degrees made all the difference in the world. Why is it always the last thing you try that works?

This message was edited by Merc Cruzer on 2-2-14 @ 11:44 AM

TomO    -- 02-03-2014 @ 8:01 AM
  That is because you don't have to do any more.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6955