Topic: 40 Merc--WW tires

oldguy    -- 01-11-2014 @ 1:56 PM
  Putting a new set of WW radials on my 40 Merc.
Has anyone heard of a tire company called " DIAMOND BACK ".
How would they compare with "COKER".
Thx
Oldguy

woodiewagon46    -- 01-12-2014 @ 9:10 AM
  I would go with the Diamondbacks. I had a problem with Coker tires and Coker did nothing to rectify the problem. I was told by the Coker rep that "Coker tires are for show cars and not drivers". This subject was recently discussed on the Ford Barn site and it was surprising how many people also had problems with Coker tires.

TomO    -- 01-12-2014 @ 9:23 AM
  I have also heard many problems with Diamond Back tires. The specialty tire manufacturers do not have the volume of tires made for modern cars, so their failure rate is going to be higher than for modern car tires and the hobby is very vocal about service. You seldom hear from the people that are satisfied with their tires as they expect them to perform satisfactorily.

Either Coker or Diamond Back tires can give good service. Both companies are prone to blame something other than quality control for the tire failures. If you buy Coker, buy their hazard warranty. I don't know if Diamond Back has one, if they do, I would also purchase it.

The most important thing to ask when you buy the tires is the recommended tire pressure and be sure to maintain it.

Tom

Oldad    -- 01-12-2014 @ 7:30 PM
  Has anyone had experience with yellowing of white walls fom different manufacturers. I have bought three sets of bias ply white walls from Coker. Two were easy to keep white, thee third has been a pain. Coker has no explanation for it.

buford8    -- 01-13-2014 @ 8:16 AM
  Definitely go with Diamondback or Goodyear wide whites...I had two bad experiences with Coker tires and won't go back for a third...'nuf said! Good luck with your choice...

You mess with me, you mess with the whole trailer park!

TomO    -- 01-13-2014 @ 9:33 AM
  Oldad,

Check the manufacture date and the manufacture location on the yellow tire. They may have given you 1 old stock tire. If the tires came from different batches, I would complain and ask to speak to a manager and not be satisfied until I got another tire or spoke to Corky.

The serial numbers of my Coker tires are consecutive, so I know that they came out of the same batch.

Tom

len47merc    -- 01-13-2014 @ 12:24 PM
  A few of these posts are not clear on whether references and/or questions are being made of Coker as a company who sells tires of various manufacturers or Coker's specific brand of WW tires. I'll weigh in by agreeing with TomO on the serial number review, batches, etc., and as well working through the hierarchical chain if you do have problems. I purchased a set of US Royal 3 1/4" whitewalls from Coker and have been very satisfied with both the tires (and WW) performance and Coker's customer service to-date. I additionally have two neighbors with '54 & '56 classics, both of whom have 3+ year old Coker BRAND whitewalls and both are satisfied with their purchase and experience with Coker. We all have used Coker's recommendations for both tire pressure as well as cleaning solutions for the whitewalls and all have had positive experiences and results as well.

Steve

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=6909