Topic: Starter Motor Removal

gatorkin    -- 12-18-2009 @ 6:52 PM
  Can anyone help with advice on removing the starter motor from my 1952 Mercury Monterey.

I removed two bolts, one on the right side and one on the left, thought it would pop out but didn't, then removed the ground strap and still didn't budge...
what am I missing? Do I need to remove a third bold from somewhere? The bold that holds the bellhousing, do I need to remove that one? Any help is great. Thanks Chris

This message was edited by gatorkin on 12-18-09 @ 7:26 PM

trjford8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 6:33 AM
  Gatorkin, in the 52-54 shop manual it says to do the following to remove the starter; disconnect the starter cable at the terminal,then remove the bracket that goes from the front of the starter to the oil pan or in the case of the 6 cylinder with Fordomatic you remove the flywheel(converter housing) to starter screw, and lastly you remove the two bolts at the front of the starter that pass through the starter to the bell housing.Once it's loose you may have to tip it towards the motor in order to pull it out.

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 12-19-2009 @ 7:14 AM
  HI
on the V8 ENGINE,,,
If you have the 2 main long starter bolts loose, do not pull them all the way out, just enough so they let you know they are not holding the starter in,,[ the ones that go though the starter from one end to the other end,] that are on the end of the starter and the one bolt with bracket to the oil pan, I am thinking that it might be just stuck to the bell housing , by a little rust of maybe it had wet paint when it was installed ?, WITH A SMALL HAMMER ,,just tap the side with a piece of wood, when you have it loose, withdraw it so the back is exposed,[ to will have to tilt starter a little to pass the flywheel ring gear,]
and when you can see one of the bolts treads, put a nut back on one of the long starter bolts so starter does not come apart,in you hands, [ this can happen,,,!!!
now it should be out,,,
hope this helps,
37RAGTOPMAN in GOD WE TRUST,,,,
MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL,

supereal    -- 12-19-2009 @ 8:16 AM
  An important thing to remember when removing a starter is that the thing is very heavy, so don't put your head and face under it. Particularly if they haven't been off in a long time, they will pop loose and gravity will take over!

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 11:19 AM
  Bob, To my knowledge, my head and face have never been off. Does this mean I should be extra careful about gravity?

Alan

Stroker    -- 12-19-2009 @ 3:23 PM
  Alan:

Super and I are really old. We are too old to learn about such things as the Higg's Bosun.
Since the postulation of this elusive subatomic particle that presumably adds mass to starter motors has escaped us, please be patient.

Dan

ford38v8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 6:10 PM
  Dan and Bob, Just think of the cern collider as a gigantic dirt track, with two Outlaws cranking down the straight in front of the bleachers... in opposite directions. Some folks predict that if they crash just exactly right, the resulting wreckage will fill an entire Pick-your-Part yard. Vegas has been laying odds on this bet for half a century now, so you guys better catch up with the times.

Alan

supereal    -- 12-20-2009 @ 9:15 AM
  They are both heavy and usually greasy, and if you plop one on your face, you will be singing "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth". As for gravity, Alan, I think you and I are both victims of that phenomenon!

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=471