Topic: mechanics in my area

jeff holland    -- 12-18-2009 @ 3:15 PM
  I just repurchaes a 1950 Merc, that I restored about 25 years ago. I live in the Sacramneto Ca area (Roseville)and am trying to find a mechanic that cn work on the engine and tune it up after 12 years of no use. The engine runs well, but is hard to starty after warming up and tends to fade and go dead on the road every few miles. When i restart it goes fine afew more miles then dies. It has an electric fuel pump, but I need to probably also have a major tune-up. Know anyone in the greater Sacramneto area or what problem I am having?

ford38v8    -- 12-18-2009 @ 7:12 PM
  Jeff, your problem is the coil. Coils go bad whether on a car or on the shelf. Send it to Skip Haney in Florida for a rebuild. Don't buy a new coil, or do anything else, just get your old one rebuilt. that will solve your immediate problems. Skip's website is:

Skip Haney www.fordcollector.com
Remanufactured coils and high volume modified water pumps for flatheads

In the near future, you will also experience a fuel delivery problem, for which you will want to rebuild your carburetor and fuel pump:

Baxter Ford Parts, 131 Arkansas St Lawrence, KS (785) 842-9256
Email baxterford@sunflower.com Carburetor rebuild, NOS and used parts

Your electric fuel pump will also require an upgrade:

C&G Ford Parts www.cgfordparts.com
Ford and Mercury cars from 1932 to 1972, Pickup Trucks from 1932 to 1979

And eventually you'll need tires:

Coker Tire www.cokertire.com
Classic and collector tires

You'll also want to join the EFV8CA, and perhaps the Sacramento Regional Group #4:

http://www.clutchchatter.org/

Welcome back!

Alan

trjford8    -- 12-19-2009 @ 6:10 AM
  Jeff, you may have two issues.After sitting for 12 years you may have a bunch of crud in your gas tank. It could be clogging the pump or filter if you have one. The second could be the coil or ballast resistor. I don't recall if the Merc has a ballast resistor or not. The purpose of the resistor is to reduce the voltage to the coil.If your car does not have the resistor then it is likely the coil. Since the Merc uses the round cannister type coil you should be able to purchase a new one from Napa Auto Parts. Cars need fuel and spark to run and you obviously are lacking one or both of these to keep it running.
I left you a private message with a phone number of the local V-8 Club president.I think he or one of the members can find you a competent mechanic. If you are not a club member it would be to your advantage to join as these folks are a good resource to help with your car.

This message was edited by trjford8 on 12-19-09 @ 6:13 AM

supereal    -- 12-19-2009 @ 8:19 AM
  If you install a 6 volt "modern" round coil, it likely has a built in resistor, so if your car has the stock resistor, probably mounted on the coil of your '50, it should be bypassed.

jeff holland    -- 12-19-2009 @ 9:47 AM
  Tomn-
Saw your replay after I sent note. Thanks, no need to reply.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=468