Topic: 50 Merc Trans Shifting Problems

curts41    -- 08-22-2011 @ 4:58 PM
  I am having trouble getting my 1950 merc trans to shift. I just installed a rebuilt OD trans. It gets stuck in first gear when I am trying to get to second. I can free it up by re aligning the shift arms on the column under the hood. I have triued moving the linkage up and down with the adjustments, but can't get it right. Any help would be appreciated.

Curt

TomO    -- 08-23-2011 @ 6:26 AM
  Curt, are the bushing in the shift rods sloppy? If so, you should replace them before trying to adjust the rods.

Put the transmission in neutral and the gear shift in neutral and adjust the rods so that they fit smoothly onto the shift arms on the transmission.

Tom

supereal    -- 08-23-2011 @ 10:03 AM
  Did the old transmission shift without a problem? If it did, the forks, pin, and tube on the column are probably OK. Follow Tom's advice regarding attaching the rods. They must fit the bushings without moving the transmission levers or the column arms at all. Be sure that the arms on the transmission sideplate are attached to the shafts with no play whtsoever. If you still have the problem, it is likely that the "blocker" in the sideplate is either not assembled properly, or is sticking. It is designed to prevent shifting into one gear until neutral has been established. It consists of two steel balls, a rod, a spring, and a plunger. As you report that jiggling the shift rod causes releases the lock, I suspect that the shift blocker is not allowing the fork to move. If you can easily move the sideplate arms into position without the rods attached, then the rods need to be changed. Any "slop" in the column shift arms can fail to move the arms fully, as well. More than likely, your new transmission is tighter than the one it replaced, and the shifting mechanism may not provide full travel. Adjusting anything before pinning down the cause can create additional problems.

curts41    -- 08-23-2011 @ 11:01 AM
  Tom O and supereal,
Thank you for your insight into this problem. Some more insight into the situation. I bought this car last Feb, it had a floor shift in it, The trans jumped out of second. The shift kit was mickey moused into the car to the point that they actually cut into the trans support to clear everything. The overdrive was not even hooked up as the shift would not clear the soleniod on the side. That being said, I hooked up the column shift again, had the trans rebuilt and here I am, all dressed up with no place to go. I will try some different things, but like supereal said, changing too many things will get me further away from a solution.

Curt

janman33    -- 08-28-2011 @ 7:30 PM
  Broken engine or trans mounts can cause jumping out of gear and hard getting into a gear. You might just check your mounts also.

curts41    -- 09-07-2011 @ 11:25 AM
  ALL,
I finally got my Mercury shifting problems fixed. Rather than make more changes to the rods, I took the car to my trans rebuilder and asked him to do his magic . He said that the shifting arms were to loose, he got some new seals for the cover which were dripping, replaced the rivets on the shifting arms with small bolts and nuts and like magic, it was fixed. As you guys said, the shift arms must be tight, with very little play.
Thanks to all that responded.

Curt

TomO    -- 09-08-2011 @ 6:09 AM
  Glad that you can now drive your car.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=3645