Topic: 1940 Merc brake conversion

oldguy    -- 02-13-2011 @ 1:31 PM
  HI,
I would like to convert the original brakes on my 40 Mec (which have the 4 adjustments to each wheel ) to a later version say 47 or 48 style (1 adjustment each wheel.
I have been told that,it is just a matter of bolting on the 47/48 parts,no additional machineing
etc.
True or false.
Any suggestions.

Oldguy

trjford8    -- 02-13-2011 @ 7:27 PM
  It's a direct bolt-on process.

TomO    -- 02-14-2011 @ 6:49 AM
  It is just a bolt on process, and it does not give any improvement in braking.

The anchor bolts (the bottom adjustment) only require adjustment when new shoes are installed. IMHO, it is not worth the effort and expense to make the change.

The Zephyr type brakes improve braking, but require machining and the kits are expensive.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-14-2011 @ 9:27 AM
  If you are going to non-original brakes, you may as well consider discs, at least on the front, together with a dual chamber master cylinder. There are good kits out there, such as those from Chassis Engineering (www.chassisengineeringinc.com) In this day of power disc brakes on everything, the old drums are barely adequate for highway driving.

oldguy    -- 02-14-2011 @ 2:10 PM
  Thanks Guys for your input.
Yeas,I will just learn to make the adjustments.
Yes, I thought of disc up front, as my other 40 Merc has them, but I have installed a 302 create in that one and I have a Flathead in this one.
Attached a pic of my babies.one on the right is the flathead
Thxs again

supereal    -- 02-14-2011 @ 3:00 PM
  Great looking Merc sedans! If you need instructions for setting the anchors, let us know. There are dots on the heads of the anchors to help you find the place to start.

alanwoodieman    -- 02-14-2011 @ 8:21 PM
  Yes as superreal says, great looking Merc's. Every good mechanic has his own way of adjusting Ford brakes, they can be quite trying, but hey if it was easy even a Chevy mechanic could do it!

TomO    -- 02-15-2011 @ 7:57 AM
  Great looking Mercurys.

The best way to adjust the anchors is to use the method in the Ford Service manual. This method gives you brake that will stop as well as the Bendix type self energizing found on later Fords.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=2587