Topic: 1940 Mercury Interior

40MercSedan    -- 01-04-2011 @ 10:05 AM
  I would appreciate information/photos as to the correct window trim wood grain finish for my 1940 Mercury 4-door sedan. Lauren Matley in Phoenix will be doing the refinishing. I do have a sales brochure but was told the final product could have been slightly different. Also wondering if anyone has the paint code for the dash, steering column and steering wheel. FYI - I found someone that reproduces the grooved dash trim.

Thanks! Bob

TomO    -- 01-05-2011 @ 8:58 AM
  Bob, the correct wood grain finish is "silver oak grain". This is a straight oak grain done with a dark (almost black) grain pattern on a light tan base. I don't have good photos of the grain work any more.

Tower Paints, a V-8 Times advertiser, advertised that they had the correct dash paint colors. I color matched mine to an original glove box door that was removed from a car in the 50's. I removed the plastic from the door and used the color under the plastic.

I thought that this was the best representative of the color, but after it uploaded, it became more blue. I will try again.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-5-11 @ 9:12 AM

TomO    -- 01-05-2011 @ 9:23 AM
  The steering wheel is close to the correct color in this photo and the window trim has the correct color base coat for the wood graining.

Your monitor may show the colors different than mine, but you can get an idea. The color is a gray that is closer to a green than blue with a hint of metallic in it.

Tom

This message was edited by TomO on 1-5-11 @ 9:27 AM

oldguy    -- 02-13-2011 @ 1:07 PM
  Hey,
Just joined.I have two 40s, seen pics of wood grain on the trim. Both of mine are painted. Now I know for sure. Thxs to all for this info.
I was woundering could you get me the name and address of the person who does the groved pieces?

Oldguy

TomO    -- 02-14-2011 @ 6:52 AM
  Oldguy, I do not know anyone that reproduces the plastic at this time. I made my own from scr*p pieces of solid surface counter top material using a router table and a router.

Tom

supereal    -- 02-14-2011 @ 9:20 AM
  If you can find some original unfaded paint on a car, such as under trim, in the glove box, etc, a good paint store can usually analyze it with a device that provides a formula for duplication. Old vehicles used paint bases that are long obsolete, such as lacquer, and translation into acrylic or other types is necessary if you want to even come close to the original.

oldguy    -- 02-14-2011 @ 2:21 PM
  Hey TomO,
Now I know why I was holding on to all those wood working tool, never thought of counter top material.
Thxs
Oldguy

TomO    -- 02-15-2011 @ 8:00 AM
  The solid surface material is very heavy and you will need to make it as thin as possible in the center. I gave depth to the pieces by gluing on the bottom and sides, leaving the field thin.

Tom

rradar    -- 09-11-2011 @ 3:29 PM
  Would appreciate the name and contact info for the person who is reproducing the 1940 Mercury grooved blue dash plastic. Thanks, Ray

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=2390