Topic: Interior materials for 41 Mercury

Bill4d1merc    -- 10-20-2009 @ 3:04 PM
  I emailed LeBaron Bonney and requested information on an interior kit for my car and this was their reply

"Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we do not offer any kits for your 1941 Mercury. We have never worked on one and are unsure of the original materials. We are not aware of anyone selling the interior kits. We are not currently doing any pattern work."

So my question is was the materials used on Mercury's different from Ford's?

Thank you, Bill

supereal    -- 10-20-2009 @ 4:00 PM
  Yes, the early Mercs ('39-'41) are different in some ways than the Fords of the same vintage. They tend to be very difficult to restore because they were lower production cars than Fords, and WWII caused the end of building of all civilian cars and trucks until 1945 at the earliest. You best bet is to find a really good auto trim shop, as they usually have good resources if they do old cars.

TomO    -- 10-21-2009 @ 4:32 PM
  The body of the 41-48 Mercury is the same as the Ford of that year. The seat frames of the Ford and Mercury are the same in these years. The door interior panels are the same size as the Ford panels.

The trim materials for the Mercury were different than the Ford trim materials. A Ford kit would fit, but the material and any embellishment would be different than the Mercury and would not be correct for the Concourse.

If you have samples of the original cloth, a good upholstery shop will be able to find material that is closer to the original.

Tom

Tim_Bowers    -- 10-24-2009 @ 8:17 AM
  Hey, Supereal;

I definitely don't want to hijack this thread, but could you re-send me the name/contact information of the source for the V8 distributor adapter for the Sun machines that you gave me? I failed to write that down prior to the old site being shut down. You could email me directly at stellarrestorations@cox.net

Thanks,

Tim

Tim Bowers, owner
Stellar Antique Auto Restorations
www.stellarrestorations.com

Instructor,
Sheet Metal Restoration
McPherson College Auto Restoration Technology
www.mcpherson.edu/technology

This message was edited by Tim_Bowers on 10-24-09 @ 8:17 AM

supereal    -- 10-24-2009 @ 10:52 AM
  Tim: Bob Masters is the guy. His phone is (859)441-6119. E-mail: Rmasters3@fuse,net. He is in Kentucky, and handles Sun, Allen, and other machines and parts. He has repaired a couple of our Sun machine parts. We haven't used him for quite a while, but I assume he is still going.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=169