Topic: 53 mercury column shift problems

mgerhold    -- 12-12-2023 @ 4:22 PM
  i been trying to fix my column shifting issues on my 53 mercury. It gets jammed sometimes and hard to get in reverse at times. i checked all the levers on the transmission and have new brass bushings on the shift levers and all if good and tight. i pulled the shift tube today and wanted to see if anyone thought these shift lever notches were worn? i can't find a photo of what it should look like. only automatic tubes.
does this shift tube look good? or any other ideas? any one have a good one they want to sell ?

TomO    -- 12-21-2023 @ 5:04 PM
  I have a lot of trouble determining the amount of wear from a photo. I suggest that you try the shift levers on the tube to see if they engage the lugs without slop. If there is slop, you will have to find another tube.

My Interchange manual doesn't show an interchange for it, but looking at the chart in the parts manual, the 1950 Merc might fit.

Tom

merc5340    -- 01-19-2024 @ 8:30 PM
  I’m having similar problems with my 53 Monterey and would be interested to hear your fix or any other recommendations
Thanks!

mgerhold    -- 03-02-2024 @ 5:36 PM
  I was able to fix the problem. turns out the steering column colar plate wasnt tight enough and had a slight amount of play in it. when i tighten it down with the two bolts if shifts smooth again without jamming. that slop must have been enough to cause jamming.

hope this helps someone else with the same issue

37RAGTOPMAN    -- 03-17-2024 @ 10:58 AM
  HI
what does the tube look at the top, under the switch, remove the switch,and look to see if it is broken.
the shift lever pointer goes into a metal strap with a hole, that is welded to the tube, it does break, can be welded back on,
lets hear how you made out, take MORE photos closer
hope this helps,37Ragtopman.,Maine

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=16813