Topic: ID help with a Flathead

THOR    -- 09-23-2023 @ 9:27 AM
  I'm the new guy on this forum, so if my Early Ford V-8 etiquette is lacking, please bear with me.

I just acquired a flathead engine that has been in the family more than 65 years. The reason I'm posting in the Mercury discussion is that my Dad removed the engine from a '39 Mercury in 1959. If that was the original engine that he pulled, it would be great. However, I'm not able to yet identify it as a '39 Merc. I've read web information about where to look for codes/markings on the block. Nothing matches. The bell housing is molded as part of the block and the only markings I can find on that housing is a centered circle with a few numbers around the inside, and a larger "W." a couple inches to the right.
Any insight would be very appreciated.
Thank You!

TomO    -- 09-23-2023 @ 6:09 PM
  To start with:
Check the heads for a capitol T in the center and Part number 81T-6049 and 81T 6050 cast in the heads. It could be on the side facing out or on the side facing the intake manifold. These are Mercury heads.

Next perform the tests shown in the attached photo.

If the heads are off, check the shape of the center water outlet, 1940 Ford will be trapezoid shaped and the Mercury wil be round. Also check the bore size, Mercury is 3 3/16" and Ford is 3 1/16" diameter.

Tom

THOR    -- 09-25-2023 @ 12:22 PM
  TomO,

The heads do have the Mercury "T" between the forward most two spark plugs, and 81T-6049 (Right), 6050 (Left).

It has the early molded block/bellhousing. However, the only markings I can find on bellhousing are a circle with numbers inside and a "W." about two inches to the right of that. Picture attached.

Does this make sense to you?

Thank you.

TomO    -- 09-26-2023 @ 6:12 PM
  Those are foundry markings and are normal to find. Ford did not put any identify marks on the blocks that are known to me.

Another indication of a Mercury block is most of them had a T stamped at the front of the machined surface that the intake is mounted on. My block has the T stamped on the driver's side and HS stamped on the passenger side. The HS was a code for the steel sleeved engines. After looking at your photos, if it has the T stamp, I would be 90% sure that you have a 39-40 Mercury engine. Back in the 50's no one went to the trouble of trying to disguise a Ford block as a Mercury block.

Tom

THOR    -- 10-05-2023 @ 7:39 AM
  Tom,
I engaged on the intake manifold. Removed it fairly easily. Gasket came off in one piece with the nickels still placed to block the heat to the carburetor. Someone told my Dad when he rebuilt this 60+ years ago, that it was better to close those down, and nickels work perfect. I inspected the surface of the block where the intake gasket came off and found two markings. None were on the forward end as you had said your "T" and "HS" are. Mine are both on the passenger (right) side. One is a V [or N, or Z] that is just forward of the heater hole and the second is between the last (aft) two bolts on that right side. That marking is a "J" inside a diamond with a sideways large "B" below.
Photos show forward end of intake surface where I suspected you have your markings. None there. Other photos show my markings.

Ron

TomO    -- 10-12-2023 @ 11:35 AM
  It looks like you may have a 1941 block. On the 39-40 Mercury blocks the entire top surface is machined, it looks like your block has a raised area that has been machined and the rest of the top of the block is rough casting.

You will have to measure the bore to tell if it is a Ford or Mercury block. I am not sure if there are any markings on the block that would identify which block it is. Starting in 1941 the Mercury block was painted blue and the Ford was painted green.

Tom

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=16682