Topic: Model 76 Convertible door mystery

Tracker    -- 06-19-2022 @ 6:12 PM
  Can anyone identify what these three allen heads are for? They are in both passenger and drivers door on a 1951 Mercury Convertible. The original factory manual does not address the either by illustration or comments as to their purpose.
Thanks for your response.

Tracker

TomO    -- 06-20-2022 @ 6:58 AM
  Glad that you figured out how to post photos.

The screws appear to be the latch mounting screws. They are used to adjust the door latch.

Tom

Tracker    -- 06-20-2022 @ 7:56 AM
  Thanks for the reply ....I had to learn to transfer photos to my main computer from my the I-Phone.

The allen head screws do not move the latch that I can see ...up to this point I have aligned the door latches by trial and error until it the door closed correctly. I will try on just the one door so if I screw it up I only have the one to re-set. That procedure is not in the original mercury shop manual that came with the car and was making me nuts trying to get an identification. Thanks Tom. Glad you introduced me to the photo procedure...neat.

You had earlier asked for a picture of the car so here it is. All original w 8CM motor,std sfift w/BW od. Ground up rebuild from a barn wreck found in SD.

blarge    -- 06-20-2022 @ 6:19 PM

The three Allen head screws hold the 1/4 window pivot in place. When loosened, the window can be moved up and down and be slanted at an angle. They should have a metal plug cover painted body color. Bill Large

Tracker    -- 06-22-2022 @ 11:29 AM
  I though there must be a plug for those allen head holes also but have never seen such and were not with the car when I bought it as barn-basket case. Do you have suggestions where I might could obtain a set ?

When you say 1/4 window ....mine is at the front. The allen head in the back pillar post in the convertible.

Thanks.

Tracker

oldfords    -- 11-24-2022 @ 4:12 PM
  Those screws do adjust the rear roll up window and should have plugs as stated.

trjford8    -- 11-25-2022 @ 6:50 AM
  I suspect you can find the metal plug covers at a god hardware store. They come in various diameters and then you can paint them.

EFV-8 Club Forum : https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum
Topic: https://www.earlyfordv8.org/forum/viewmessages.cfm?Forum=16&Topic=15745